Mach 5 Audio, IXL18 enclosure size?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Really depends on what you want to do with them. I'd say don't go under what they list sealed unless you are doing SPL or want a high tuned sub....or really have to. The smaller the tighter the bass and less low end extension, or harder it will be to get low tones if you EQ it. They will likely handle max power with the smaller box though, just not sound as nice for music w/minimal EQ.

ThyDntWntMusic said:
obviously, the recommended box sizes are for a home theatre application.

The ratio of In Home Physics to Automotive Physics is around 2 :1 so it should be about 1/2 the size. And of course in a car it should be able to get at least a full octave lower. So tune it to 15 Hz. Or you could contact the speaker manufacturer and see what they have to say about a smaller enclosure.

Just to make sure I do not give any bad information here, the part about In Home to Automotive Physics is a Hoax. Contacting the Manufacturer is the only good information in this post.

Mach5 gets used in cars a lot. Most people I know run them in software to see what they can get for tuning. I tell everyone to run what you have now, then the new driver and compare. If you want more 30Hz for example, tune the new one for that and build that box.

Definitely, when I was a kid a box maybe but no way would I put a box that big in one of my vehicles now. With that much cone area IB output will be substantial for music listening. I have four 12s IB now and really if I put in enough power to max them out it would be ridiculous. The whole back of the car shakes now and there is no stopping it, that is only w/400rms. If you want to go overboard, well that is up to you.

Well the staff at Mach 5 wrote me back

> From: Email: ------------------------------------------------------>> I have a few simple questions about your IXL-18 2.2 driver. I am> attempting> to install this in an automotive application. Obviously I need a smaller> enclosure.>> whats the smallest enclosure you think these would be happy in, what> tuning> frequency?>> what size ported, what size sealed.>> note: this is in the car audio section.>> cheers!>>> ------------------------------------------------------ Hi there, The IXL-18 is a big box driver. For car audio I would suggest goingsealed - ~4.5-5 cubic feet. If however, you want to go ported, you can gowith 7 cubic feet (net) tuned to 28Hz. Best regards,Mark

I Am An Idiot said:
Hi there, The IXL-18 is a big box driver. For car audio I would suggest goingsealed - ~4.5-5 cubic feet. If however, you want to go ported, you can gowith 7 cubic feet (net) tuned to 28Hz. Best regards,Mark

lol, I'm guessing he just pulled those numbers out of the air..

you don't recommend a woofer be in 200 litres tuned to 19Hz for a home theatre setup, then chuck it in the same size box but tune it to 28Hz for a car setup where you could have 10dB or more cabin gain at 35 - 55Hz unless you REALLY don't want it to play music anywhere near flat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.