Mach 5 Audio, IXL18 enclosure size?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're a lucky one if you can spare 140L + external mount.

Any idea where your cabin gain will be effective?

jol50:
Looks like 70-200L for sealed, bigger for lower. Beyond that larger just helps below 20Hz. It really wants minimum 100L to get down low.

Yeah, I wouldn't be adverse to ~55L even. A little EQ would straighten it right out. But LT would be reasonable (spec-wise, anyway) down to ~45L, and too tempting for me.

Fortunately, a boxed woofer just won't fit well into my old ride.

Fit is right, I had a 1.25cf single 12 and it effectively trashed use of 1/3-1/2 of my trunk. Now I worked up an inverted 1cf, ported to about 25Hz, with a single 400rms 10" that seems to put out nice in the house. Going to tune it a little lower maybe and test in the car for fun, but the quad 12s IB are wonderful overboard bottom and what box can compare. They take about 5" off the back seat panel I don't even miss. Once I go to a pair of 15s I'll have a little more room and about the same output. This 18 looks nice, but I think twin 15 would have more output and less cost...and they would be the best fit with an amp rack in this car. Certainly you could go smaller with this 18 if you don't need max output.

ThyDntWntMusic said:

I have eight of them, which I'm going to run off about 8000watts, in about 1200 litres total box volume :)

:smash:

OK then. Maybe build a pair of these? But seriously...

Testing one woofer in 140L may be fun, but won't be very informative. The dynamics of the interior will change significantly with 7 woofers + 7kW added and another 1050L of interior space missing.

Much like re-tuning a HT box for car use, actually building a multi-18" setup off test results with a single is questionable.

This IMHO, of course. And I'm not the guy to ask for advice on high-SPL cars.

Maybe one of the members from Texas/Louisiana (birthplace of crank 'em up's) or others with experience could help out here?

the 140 litre box is just to hear what the subs sound like.

at the moment, I have no idea, and I haven't even started the car install, so I'd like to at least put one of these woofers to use for a while!

I'm going to do a bass tunnel, with the woofers mounted in the port.

if it doesn't work properly, I'll simply seal the end of the port :)

don't know if anyone was following this thread, or if they care..

but I've decided to only use six woofers total..

two slot ported boxes, each being 310 litres, tuned to around 26Hz..

gives a theoretical frequency response as per the yellow line.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

some morons are telling me the box isn't big enough...

hence the two other lines on the graph.

the red line, is two woofers, in the 310 litres SEALED, which is all they say will fit, and seem to think it will be louder, and play lower? :confused:

the blue line, is the volume, and tuning they have deluded themselves into believing I need for three of these subs... its 510 litres, tuned to 31Hz!!!

loud maybe, but thats not a musical response by any stretch of the imagination!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

tinitus said:
Im not 100% sure what its about
I may have misunderstood
Im not here to argue with your choises

Just for the record
I get 100-120liter closed pr driver
Ported I get 180-200liter pr driver
With some fiddling slightly less might do though

but your sizes aren't based on the woofers being in the tiny cabin of a car!

they're based on a home theatre setup!

anyway, doesn't matter, I'm sticking with my boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.