Orion XTR 1400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all! This is my first post on this forum, I hope I can solve my problem here :p
I have an old Orion XTR 1400 that I picked up used and abused from a buddy a while back. It had no side panels, no wiring harness, no bottom cover plate, broken inputs jacks and two broken push-button switches... needless to say its a project. I've cut sheet aluminum to fabricate side panels, albeit in a different configuration than factory, and replaced the stainless steel i/o pins for power and speaker with more convenient binding posts and a terminal strip. I pulled some panel-mount gold-plated RCA's form a derelict Parasound rack-mount CD player and used keypad switches to replace the broken stock ones in the crossover section... And now the problem.... As you may know, the Orion XTR1400 has dual power inputs, dual supplies, and is basically built like two seperate amps sharing one board and case. The left channel powers up and operates normally, however the right channel pulls ridiculous current and drives the speaker with DC as soon as you connect the RCA inputs, to me this sounds like a failure of one or more of the output transistors, but (and I admit, my expertise lies in 2-way radio equipment, not audio) when I try to check the legs of each using my DMM, I get identical readings on all output chips on that side... and a completely different reading from the side that still works. I really want to save this beast from the landfill, so if any of you have some helpful advise, I'd sure love to hear it! Thanks everyone and have a fantastic weekend!

Before you connect the RCAs, does the amp produce any DC on the speaker terminals?

Before you connect the RCAs, does the amp produce ± rail voltage at the output transistors and ±15v for the op-amps?

Can you send me or post at least one photo of the inside of the amp so I can see what we're working on?

babin_perry@yahoo.com

How are the readings different from one side to the other?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.