Foam or rubber, environment independent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I just would like to hear if there aught to be any difference of the suitability of the two kinds of surrounds, rubber and foam depending on the climate factor? Where I live, we sometimes have winter, sever winters, and my concern is if the well below freezing would influence the behaviour of the different surrounds? And if there are better rubber and foams as well, which would they be?

new foam technology is good.

Hell I had a couple old school JL Audio 12W6's....dual 6ohm ones before the new styles. Simple stamped basket, poly cone, and foam surround.

Well one blew...so I tossed it outside behind my garage...it was there for about two full years...I live in southern indiana. The weather here is everything.

Even after two years of rain, sleet, snow, hail, temperatures ranging from the teens up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit...the surround was still pliable and tough...I tried to push my finger through it and it just kept stretching...surprised the hell out of me.

aznboi3644 said:
new foam technology is good.

Hell I had a couple old school JL Audio 12W6's....dual 6ohm ones before the new styles. Simple stamped basket, poly cone, and foam surround.

Well one blew...so I tossed it outside behind my garage...it was there for about two full years...I live in southern indiana. The weather here is everything.

Even after two years of rain, sleet, snow, hail, temperatures ranging from the teens up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit...the surround was still pliable and tough...I tried to push my finger through it and it just kept stretching...surprised the hell out of me.

Sounds great, I guess it is just a question of sorting out the good stuff from the bad, then all are not likely to be equal.

I was also thinking in terms of rubber and low temperatures, I thought at least some rubber varieties got stiff when cold?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.