High Quality 15" Drivers for SQ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I'm going nuts over here trying to figure out what to do for a subwoofer in my '02 Chevy Blazer.

I'm going to build a false floor for the cargo area which will be the sealed enclosure for a subwoofer. This false floor/sub enclosure will be roughly 28.5"W x 28.5D" x 5"H internal. This area will net me right around 2.35cf total air space.

I have thrown around the ideas of using eight 8's, six 10's, or four 12's, all shallow mount drivers. This is all fine and dandy except that loading that many drivers into that amount of space will eat up more and more of that available air space. Then on top of that, you have to put in a lot of baffle bracing, eating up that much more air space.

Now what I am thinking of doing is adding onto the enclosure dimensions the area between the right wheel well and tail light in the right rear corner of the vehicle, then getting one really nice 15" driver, mounting it inverted in that right rear corner of the cargo area and letting it use the entire air space of enclosure which will probably be up to 2.6cf with the small addition.

So my question for you guys is this...

If you had a MAX of $500 to invest in a single 15" driver that would work perfectly in this amount of sealed air space and provide great SQ, which one would you go with and why?

Also, please keep in mind that I am going for SQ here, not SPL. I have a max of just over 700 watts to work with via my JL 500/1v2 so the more efficient the driver the better, would like it to extend as low as possible, and will be using an Epicenter on it from time to time. I would really like to get an in-car response down to 20Hz if possible, if not lower. Also, I will have the built-in fully adjustable EQ on the amp as well as the built-in EQ on the Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS that I plan on purchasing to get this beast as flat and low as possible.

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

theAnonymous1 said:
How about a custom made Adire Brahma? Robot Underground will make you one with the voice coil configuration of your choice and even various cosmetic choices.

Why? XBL^2 is a good reason, along with the quality associated with Adire. The price is reasonable too, considering the shipping is included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-4U-NEW-A...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

That's a great idea actually. I'm also looking at this JBL W15GTi also. It's supposed to be a very good SQ sub, that is also very efficient, at least more than most car subs.

I don't think the JBL is worth the extra cost. It has a little higher power handling, but you are stuck with dual 6 ohm coils. They don't give you any of the important driver T/S specs either, not even Fs.

The sensitivity spec JBL gives is the 2.83V/1M, not the 1W/1M spec. The dual 2 ohm Brahma has nearly the same sensitivity (87.8dB 1W/1M or 91.78dB 2.83V/1M).

Just my opinion.

Here are some graphs of the Brahma in a 2.5cf sealed box with stuffing (coils in series). I would graph the JBL, but there are no specs for it.

6yhaa1.jpg

theAnonymous1 said:
I don't think the JBL is worth the extra cost. It has a little higher power handling, but you are stuck with dual 6 ohm coils. They don't give you any of the important driver T/S specs either, not even Fs.

The sensitivity spec JBL gives is the 2.83V/1M, not the 1W/1M spec. The dual 2 ohm Brahma has nearly the same sensitivity (87.8dB 1W/1M or 91.78dB 2.83V/1M).

Just my opinion.

I was going to post the same link that Frode did, but he obviously beet me to it.

As for the dual 6 ohm coils, that doesn't bother me. My JL amps produce the same about of power between 1.5 and 4 ohms, however dampening does change a bit, but at 3 ohms, I will still be on the higher side of dampening which I prefer.

Frode said:

Thank you.

Thanks for the link. Stupid me for thinking they would (should) be in the owners manual. :smash:

I plotted the JBL in the same size box and they look almost identical. Not suprising as the specs are very close. The cone displacement for the JBL is slightly lower under 50hz by an average of about 2mm.

I guess deciding between the two would come down to price and whether you need the additional power handling of the JBL. I personally still don't think it's worth >$200 more than the Brahma, but that is your choice.

It's definitely a tough call. Well it's not really.

It's still going to be a few weeks out before I purchase anything, but I'm 99% sure I'll be going with the D2 Brahma.

Like you say, the price alone is a major plus, and since I only have 700 watts to play with, I don't need to be paying for a sub that can handle 5k watts. Sure, the JBL looks much nicer, but who cares. I'm building this system to be as stealthy as possible, not flashy. Plus the fact the basket of the JBL is 10.5" tall (the Brahma is 8.25"). That thing would be sticking up in my rear window by that point. Screw that noise! LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.