A Revelation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, new to this board but not to car audio.

Last weekend I heard a system in a BMW that I will never forget. This guy had a pair of Eminence Alpha-12A on plywood in the truck firing through the package shelf in an essentially infinite baffle setup using the trunk. These were crossed over at 1.5K (4th order LR) to a pair of Selenium D220Ti-8 1" Titanium Horn Drivers in 6 inch MCM waveguides on top of the dash. Apparently, this setup needs alot of EQ. I could not believe how well these drivers blended with no mid. The dynamics, depth, clarity, etc. were beyond anything I have ever heard.

I am going to recreate this system in my Camry. Any suggestions for a 4 channel amp and crossover/EQ?

My main concern would be power handling for the 1" tweeter going down to 1.5kHz. The 4th order slope will help.

Were the 12's firing upward through the rear deck? Was there a manifold to mate them to the deck?

How about the waveguides on the dash -you mean up front?

In that case, the big obstacle would be the large distance between drivers crossed over in such a critical frequency range. Obviously, it can be done.

tsmith1315 said:
My main concern would be power handling for the 1" tweeter going down to 1.5kHz. The 4th order slope will help.

These are compression drivers and I never heard a hint of strain at insane levels.

Were the 12's firing upward through the rear deck? Was there a manifold to mate them to the deck?

Yes, there was a small manifold (less than 6 inches) to get around some obstacles under the trunk lid.

How about the waveguides on the dash -you mean up front?

Yes, they were up front right next to the A pillars on top of the dash on the extreme left and right of the dash but they fired at the opposite side listener.

In that case, the big obstacle would be the large distance between drivers crossed over in such a critical frequency range. Obviously, it can be done. [/B]

I know. This system seemed to break a lot of the rules but still sounds better than anything I have heard. And I have heard quite a few at shows, USD, Paul Stary's personal system, etc.

These are compression drivers and I never heard a hint of strain at insane levels.

Even so, that's reaching the lower limit of a 1" diaphragm. Hmm, I have a pair of horns that have been waiting for a good driver.

That's nice to hear. For you, but for us too. As in good information.

Yes, there was a small manifold (less than 6 inches)

The small manifold is also going to be significant, as it limits dispersion. Maybe that won't be a big deal given the rear deck, vertical firing location. Is your Camry's rear window angled as low as the Bimmer's?

Yes, they were up front right next to the A pillars on top of the dash on the extreme left and right of the dash but they fired at the opposite side listener.

Wow, a two-way system with LF driver in back and HF driver up front crossed at 1.5kHz? "Apparently, this setup needs alot of EQ" seems to be an understatement. Any insight into what was used? What about the power amps? Phase/time compensation?

Paul Stary's personal system

OK. Of course you know this statement can not be tossed in without some qualification. Is this a recent system? I'd love to know what Paul has been listening to since AudioMobile. (I've seen info on his recent game accesories.)

For anyone lurking who doesn't know, Paul is one of the fathers of car audio as we now it. IIRC, he was the first to show a car in the CES (even if it was out back), a kilowatt in a Beetle in the 70's. (small pic attached) New ground was broken. Audiomobile made some of the most, if not absolutely THE most, prestigious car audio equipment in its day. Way, way beyond the normal aftermarket stuff.

So. Not to get off track here, but you MUST elaborate on that statement... Please?

Attachments

• 0309cae_industry09_s.jpg
    0309cae_industry09_s.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 138
Hey Horizons, what shape were the lenses?

BTW, my answer to your original question would be older equipment. Because that's what I know, and it's much cheaper now. Separate amp, crossover and, I suppose a 31 band EQ.

I'll wait for others to suggest newer products before I get back on my horse.

The drivers mentioned are extremely efficient, but a heavy dose of power will still be needed to get the dynamics you experienced.

What are you using for a head unit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.