Kicker L5 in a 1.75 box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when you say it sounded bad do you mean it wasn't loud or did you mean it actually did not sound good? I personally don't like the L5's as a sealed box sub. They sound ok sealed but I really think they shine in ported enclosures. If you have the room I'd definitely port them even if it means only running one.

Yes, Bad

Yes they sounded bad. I mean it had some bass to it but when I turned the volume up to were I listen to it, it sounded like a flea market 10 in a plywood box built way to big. No Punch, like a kick drum. I had 2 mag audio in the same box and they rocked!! Sounded 3 times better than this L5. It recomends a .88 - 2.0 internal vol box.

Is this a custom box? Check for leaks. Make sure the mating surfaces are smooth.

It's hard to screw up a sealed box setup (design wise), unless something is wrong with the sub or the enclosure is leaking. Make sure that the sides are braced properly.

Also if you're playing both at the same time, check the speaker connections to be sure they are not playing in reverse phase. If they're DVC subs, make sure the wiring is correct for the desired impedance.

I had a 1.25 sealed or ported bought box. I ran a bunch of cheaper 12s like sony, infinity, digital audio, jensen, etc, in there and was not happy with any of them. Most did not sound that much different. I ran it ported and sealed, just too small a box to get sub bass IMO. Also have the sony (P5) in about 1.1cf sealed they recommend and hated it even stuffed full. Louder it went the worse it was. Makes a nice test sub for amps though. Playing tones I can see it plays around 50-60Hz well and drops under that.

I think the right uncommon sub can work better but that 1.25 was huge in my trunk. I gave up and put the four 12s IB in there that took far less room out of my trunk and play great. So I would agree, try one in a larger ported and see what it does.

Now I have a 400rms 10 in a 1cf bought ported and stuffed box but inverted (so over 1cf), tuned to 29Hz. It seems to get down testing but not tried in car yet. It has piles more bottom than the sony, so much I would also like to try it on my HT for fun. It will play 20Hz tones and shake stuff in the room.

You could try to stuff the box for $2 bag of poly. In my experience they sound like **** when they have a poor response like the sony I have. Some people like that SPL sound, but it is far from SQ. If your 50Hz is much louder than your 30Hz then it will not sound right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.