Magnets, Magnets,Magnets!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The choice of motor structure is "basically" based on factors of meeting x-max ideals -vs- motor strength (gaus).

There's no one factor that makes or breaks a speaker design,they are all compromises.

And all ideal factors can be taken into account in the design of at the exspense of final end cost.

A instructional book on speaker design,not just subwoofers,is Loud Speaker Cookbook,Voice Coil Magizine and the likes

It is a whole balancing act: you have a mass for the cone and if you increase it for strength or lower Fs, you need more magnet/motor to move it and more suspension to control it. Then you need more voice coil to handle more power and you get inductance, and need more suspension to handle the power while all that lowers efficiency. Now you have high xmax drivers and the issues they run into....anyway, every time you change something you change the balance between those things and change the response and efficiency of the driver.

From what I remember, the bigger the magnet = more power. For example...A sub needs a big magnet to be able to handle 800W of power. That's what I remember being told a while back anyways....

The MA Audio sub with the 60oz magnet would be able to handle more power than the Crusher that only has a 25oz magnet.

Flyin11 said:
From what I remember, the bigger the magnet = more power. For example...A sub needs a big magnet to be able to handle 800W of power. That's what I remember being told a while back anyways....

The MA Audio sub with the 60oz magnet would be able to handle more power than the Crusher that only has a 25oz magnet.

Not Really. it depends on the design and structure of the voice coil and suspension as well. sometimes the huge magnets are overkill and just for looks. if the voice coil and suspention cannot handle the stresses of the input power they will fail either electrically or mechanically. ie shorted/blown voice coil or torn spider/surround along with broken wire leads. i've seen all of the above but never a magnet damaged by too much power. i have an MTX Thunder 6000 12" sub in my garage right now with a relatively small magnet but the design is well ballanced and makes a decent sub with decent power handling.

magnets

ppia600 said:
Neodymium are more powerful for their size. There used to be expensive subs with them back in the late 80's/early 90's but they didn't catch on. You can actually use a very tiny neo versus a huge strontium/ferrite magnet.

eminence apparently has a few, this magnet is only 4 ounces!

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=BASSLITES2010&speaker_size=10&SUB_CAT_ID=5

It seem like neo motors are coming back!!! Diamond audio makes several drivers that utilize neos mids and subs. Adire made some 6.5" mids with neodymium motors that move an inch, Orion HCCA mids use neos, and TCsounds/Audiopulse made several neo drivers. Audiopulse/TCSounds are working on restructuring their businesses and starting back up making woofers using neo motors. Many tweeters are now made with neodymium. the best part is it's becoming more and more affordable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.