Alpine 5700 DAT player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do ! In fact there are 9 DAT car players in my collection, which is probably a good sample of the few models that were ever marketed. All were or are in use at some point. The only one I don't, and won't have, is the Sony DTX-10, which was plagued with a severe heath-inducted problem (only the few players that were upgraded by Sony with an additional radiator are worth considering, there was a service note to that aim (1993?)). My Alpine 5700 was purchased in Germany in 1998 ; it had not been used before (I found "never-used" car DAT players as recently as 2004). Worked very fine, excellent sound. It was removed from the car it was installed in in 2005 and is in store. Of note is a Clarion DAC-8100 deck with serial number 00007, that was presented in the 1987 (?) Las Vegas CES, a Kenwood KDT-99R of 1989. Currently installed and in use are a Blaupunkt DTP-08 (a rebranded JVC unit), a Clarion DAC-2100 (a simple but very sturdy player, I think one of the last car DAT player to be manufactured, in 1992-93, that I would recommend - I have a second one in store) and a Philips DC-990, a rebadged Mitsubishi unit that was also launched quite late (1992) at a time when the fate of DAT as a consumer format was already sealed (also own a second one).

Hey, thanks for the post.

Interesting to see that some of these machines have survived. I have a bit of a passion for collecting certain pieces of vintage audio.

I remember the Alpine 5700 being produced in the early 90s I think. It followed on from the 5900 which was the first Alpine CD player they released. I had one for a short time then traded it with a friend for some really big Alpine amps and speakers. Maybe I should have held on to it!

I have not seen one since. Nor have I seen a 5700, hence my question here.
Do you plan to keep the 5700 or would you sell it?

No, sorry, it's not for sale but part of my DAT collection (with 30+ home and studio decks and more than 800 tapes). You also have to take into consideration that they are now completely un-repairable should some incident, even a minor one, happen : no more spare parts, no one with the necessary skill. Opening one is really a shock : the complexity and density of components is incredible. If I remember correctly, the Alpine 5700 was produced in 1991 and manufacturing lasted only 2 years.
From time to time, such players still appear for auction on a well-known site, especially on national sub-sites for countries with a traditionnally strong market for Hi-End car audio (Germany, Nordic countries for instance). Some sellers may be induced to sell abroad.
I would believe that either an Alpine 5700 or a Clarion DAC 2010 would be the ones to look after.

Yes, I understand completely.

I have a number of vintage audio items which I will not part with either. It's just too hard to find some things, and if you do, there is no guarantee as to what condition they will be in.

Are you able to take some photos of the Alpine 5700 and send them to me?
I'm open of course to seeing photos of your other DAT equipment as well.

The only DAT recorder I have at the moment is a Panasonic SV-4100. This is a pro unit with balanced inputs and outputs, time-code etc.

I have just sold a Panasonic SV-3700 which was my main machine until the SV-4100 came along.

A friend gave me a Denon DTR-80P 8 years ago and asked me if I could repair it. The fault with it was as such:

Insert a cassette, it would load, and remain ready to play. Push the play button, it would play for 10 seconds, go into stop mode and unload.
Same thing would happen if you pushed FF or REW. It would select that mode for about 10 seconds, then stop and unload.

I got a service manual for it and spent maybe 3 weeks in total trying to sort it out.
Then I sent it to the local Denon agent and they spend about 3 weeks trying to sort it as well.

They had an identical unit in their workshop at the time, which had a simple fault - no audio - so they used it as a "spares provider" and swapped parts out of it for the ones in this faulty unit.
They swapped all of the circuit boards - no success. They swapped the mechanism - no success.

They sent it back to me unrepaired. They reckoned they couldn't work out what the fault was.
In the end, my friend bought a new machine and left the old one with me, which I advertised and sold as faulty.

alpine 5700

Hey, thanks for the post.

Interesting to see that some of these machines have survived. I have a bit of a passion for collecting certain pieces of vintage audio.

I remember the Alpine 5700 being produced in the early 90s I think. It followed on from the 5900 which was the first Alpine CD player they released. I had one for a short time then traded it with a friend for some really big Alpine amps and speakers. Maybe I should have held on to it!

I have not seen one since. Nor have I seen a 5700, hence my question here.
Do you plan to keep the 5700 or would you sell it?

Hi there,

I came along this thread while i'm looking for a service manual for a alpine 5700 dat.
A friend bought a old car with a alpine 5700 in it. but it doesn't work at all.
Can you help?

Regards, Peter

Hi there,

I came along this thread while i'm looking for a service manual for a alpine 5700 dat.
A friend bought a old car with a alpine 5700 in it. but it doesn't work at all.
Can you help?

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't have a manual for the 5700 but I have been repairing vintage Alpine gear for a while now.
The only thing I could suggest is if you wanted to send it to me I'd be happy to take a look - no fix, no fee.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.