Old school Coustic Amp 160:turns on with no remote power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an oldschool Coustic Amp 160 here that likes to turn on when only power and ground are applied.No remote power necessary.It functions properly other than this issue.No problems with noise or other output related issues.This amp was working fine previously but I had a brain fart one day and reversed the power input polarity.I could smell some warm components but never noticed until recently that it turned on regardless of whether remote signal was applied or not.I'm not looking to spend a ton to repair this as I got the amp for free and I only use it in my basement to run a small setup but I would like to get it back in working order if at all possible.Is there a component that commonly fails when reverse polarity happens that would cause the issue I'm having?

i traced the remote wire and found several small transistors connected to the remote lead but none appear to be shorted.i noticed a small ic in the power supply ,does anyone know perhaps if this ic has antyhing to do with turn on ?i really need to post some pics,it would probably greatly simplify this process

I stumbled upon the problem just a few minutes ago.I was pulling the rest of the small transistors in the power supply when I found a leaky 2n3904 transistor.I threw in an mpsa06 in its place just for a test run and it luckily worked.the amp now only powered up with remote turn on applied.Is the mpsa 06 suitable to use in this application or should i just get the 2n3904?I have plenty of the mpsa06's on hand I just don't have any 2n3904's so if the 06's will work I can get the amp up and running much faster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.