Need Help With Early 60's Transistor Radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having a dilemma I hope someone might be able to shine some light on to help solve.

I have an early 60's am transistor radio I'm working on. The first thing I did was recap it figuring that would stop the LOUD sputtering sound (that the volume control wouldn't control).

Well, that didn't work so I also replaced the output transistor (pnp) and that didn't work either. It still sputters obnoxiously.

Does anyone know what this could be and what I should check (replace) next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, It's a Bendix model 3TBO.

I have the schematic for it and replaced the electrolytic caps. I was still getting constant "sputtering". I did some more investgating and it turned out that one of the caps had pulled loose from the trace. Once I resoldered it I got rid of the sputtering but now there's just constant static up and down the tuning scale. The volume controls the static but the radio still won't get reception.

it will look somthing like this

Attachments

• vcap-16.jpg
    vcap-16.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 76
it is to vary the capacitance of the circuit no they should have a drop of blue ,green or red locktight on them to keep from moving but they can burn out or get corroded if you can see the plates on it and it is black or discolored it can be bad but you have to know what value to set them at or it wont work so don't put a screw driver to it what ever you do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.