• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The position of the big caps allows to mount this board horizontally as well, if space is concern. In order to accomodate those extra snubber components, I simply moved diodes closer together (comparing to previous versions). I also reduced the hole sizes (for the diodes) so it will be easier to mount them this time.

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 14,678
Now the best part. As I mentioned already somwhere else, I'm not that crazy about snubber anymore, and prefer not to use it. I'm getting very good results with AC power and single 100u BG N caps, but with some efficient speakers it may create slight hum of the drivers, or some might prefer more substantial bass signature. So I made extra holes for 1500u Panasonics which can be used together with those 100u caps (preferably BG N) on amp's board. Also, when snubber isn't used, variety of bypass caps are possible to mount in that place, with spacing ranging from 200-400mil.

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 14,653
Very nice Peter. I'm probably going to have to order one before you sell out of them :D ... I'll probably wind up using my Vishay S102 and RN90Y resistors on it in place of the caddocks. I would really love to find a bunch of 600/680 ohm Corning Glassware carbon comps. I'm not sure if you've used/seen them before, but they make the Rikens look amateurish!

But really, the boards do look stunning. You're right, they're a nice change from all the red/blue/green boards I've been seeing lately. Maybe you should get wild and do your dac board in Purple or Orange ;)

Gotta love all the screening colors out now. Those case-modding overclockers are getting it to permeate everywhere now. I dare say the goldplated/clear screening with the black lettering is by far the most stunning boards I've seen to date, though! Something nice and simple, yet very eye-candyish about them.

Peter,

Neat stuff!

It's great that we have so many options, now. I'm particularly interested in your DAC offering. Very nice.

Maybe this is thre wrong place and time to ask this, but have you compared your DAC to the other popular kit, the Scott Nixon DacKit or TubeDac+ (TubeKit, in kit form)? Just curious if you have any observations, since some of us have built or are using them. Also, that Ack Dac seems to be highly regarded.

Finally, can you tell us what we must be careful of if we omit the series resistor?

Thanks,
KT

KT said:

Maybe this is thre wrong place and time to ask this, but have you compared your DAC to the other popular kit, the Scott Nixon DacKit or TubeDac+ (TubeKit, in kit form)? Just curious if you have any observations, since some of us have built or are using them. Also, that Ack Dac seems to be highly regarded.

Finally, can you tell us what we must be careful of if we omit the series resistor?

I never listened to SN DAC, so connot comment on comparison.

I was comparing my early prototype to Ackdack, and AckDack wasn't better. This was probably last June, and since then I improved my DAC a lot.

When omiting input resistor, check the offset at max volume setting (when using pot at amps input). If no other noises occur, you should be fine.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
I ordered the boards this week, they should be ready the next. Before taking orders I want to show the actual boards. Here's the current layout:

Where are the connections to tie the transformer board to the main board? I see the small pads under the caps, but you might want larger pads if you are going to wire the board to a battery setup or other power supply setup.

--
Brian

When you do screen shot, it does not show bottom layer components. This is one board with a scoring line, in case somebody wants to use just the DAC section. I hope the scoring line might also partialy break vibrations transfer from transformer, if such occur. There are 4 series resistors on the bottom, between coils and caps, connecting both sections.

There are jumpers on transformer primary, to set dual voltages. At present, it seems that AC power is actually better than running the DAC from bateries, but again, it will depend on batteries used and quality of the mains.

The board will require a bit advanced assembly procedure, as 4 pins on receiver have to be cut off (to make room for other traces), the bypass caps on the receiver need to be soldered directly to its PS pins, there is one SMD regulator (for ths DAC: in order to disipate heat better, and because there was no room for TO-92 package), the bypass cap on DAC goes over the receiver chip. This is a bit of a 3-D layout, but not confusing in any way. All those choices were made in order to simplify signal paths and possibly improve performance ;)

The board accepts only through hole version of CS8412 (and I have at least 100pcs of those chips available). It will be also gold plated, with clear mask.

There will be another board made as well, accomodating both versions of receiver, and without transformer on board. This board will feature on board regulators for batteries recharging.

DAC Chasis

Peter,

Is there any chance of including 2 x 3 aluminum square tubing
with a kit? Or is it something that's easy to pick up, like at
Metal Supermarkets?

Do you have a recipe for a RCA to BNC cable?

I'm glad i waited and didn't spend the cash on a different kit!

:devilr:

m.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: DAC Chasis

moe29 said:
Peter,

Is there any chance of including 2 x 3 aluminum square tubing
with a kit? Or is it something that's easy to pick up, like at
Metal Supermarkets?

Do you have a recipe for a RCA to BNC cable?

I'm glad i waited and didn't spend the cash on a different kit!

:devilr:
m.

Metal Supermarkets stocks the 2x3" aluminum tubing. I picked up some a while back.

--
Brian

Apogee Wyde-Eye http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1112109257 is a pretty good sounding budget interconnect. I had a chance recently to compare it to Illuminati D-60 and in brief comparison it wasn't really behind, and actually preferred by some of my friends.

The board will be at least $35, and I will come up with budget oriented (parts) kit version: will also be selling set of chips, but the best version of parts selection is approx $200 (including transformer). I'm not sure how many would be interested in that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.