• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simplistic and beautiful! Only a few simple questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you again to Audio Selector for a fantastically well designed kit! The GC circuit is so simple, at first I found myself going back to the shipping package looking for another baggie (or four!) of parts - but no, it really is that clean.

I am planning on using a single 22x22 300V transformer I ordered for this build. I am going to keep it and the power supply board in a separate enclosure, and based on the recommendations from this forum, am using a 4pin XLR and silver tinned Teflon 18GA wire for the umbilical.

Ideally, I would like to have the power LED on the amp chassis and not the power supply box; I was considering running the power to the amp with a pair of leads connecting to the power supply with a micro-mini stereo jack.

Ok - so the first question - is this a dumb idea - am I going to just introduce more noise by adding an additional 24" of wire (12 up and 12 back) to the circuit?

Second question - If I added a shield, and tied the drain back to the power supply, would that mitigate (some part) of any added interference?

Regarding the LED resistor - I see in the photos a pretty small 1/4w resistor for R3 - am I off base?

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions as my plan starts to come together, but for now I'm really just focusing on the components that will most impact my design topology.

Thank you again for a great kit, and thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Ewing

So if I understand it correctly, are you planning on running aditional pair of wires from PS enclosure to the amp to power just the LED?

If so, I wouldn't bother with that, just connect the LED to the power pads, off the amp board, inside the amp enclosure.

OTOH, I keep my amps always ON, so I don't even need an LED to show me the power status.

The LED resistor can indeed be that small. it doesn't get warm at all.

Thanks!

Peter,

I completely understand! I love the sound of the first kit - you may have seen I placed another order. I know I am late to the GC world, but I want to explore this avenue before I start looking at the class T style (class d whatever) amps that people are talking about now.

The LED is a non- issue. I am now officially in line with the "less is more" philosophy!

One issue I am having concerns figuring out what clipping sounds like with this amp - with no protection circuit, I hear some distortion but it is really non-specific. I know that there is no such thing as "safe" clipping for speakers - I have a GC amp that I scratchbuilt going to a friend with a pair of $9k PSB Imagine T3 speakers (91db efficiency) and I don't know what to tell him to listen for. I had a really hard time distinguishing any distortion at reference level (81db @3meters in my 130 sqft test room, heavily damped) His room is larger - 12x25 and fairly under damped, I know he is going to want to listen @ 80db often and I want to make sure he knows what to listen for!

I know it is a super annoying kind of question - with the answer probably going to be "it will sound wrong" - but if anyone could provide insight about the personalities of a GC, it would be you!!

Ewing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.