• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Runs hot under no use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The gainclone I made (lm3875 kit) a month or two ago works perfectly, except that the left channel heatsink runs hot when the amp is not in use. It is within the thermal limit so it doesn't really cause problems I just find it odd. The amp sounds fantastic, and any noise is undetectable from the listening position.

If the amp is not plugged into my computer, but on, it heats up quite a lot. If I then plug it in and play music through it it actually cools down noticeably. The amp may be oscillating which could explain why the left channel runs hotter than the right, but it seems like that wouldn't stop when music was playing and it would just get hotter.

I know the question is coming so no I don't have an O-scope. Though I may be able to bring the amp into the physics department and use one of theirs.

Has anyone experienced this?

''I know the question is coming so no I don't have an O-scope. Though I may be able to bring the amp into the physics department and use one of theirs''.

if you ground its input cable and remove the speaker load does it still heat up? if so the ic might be faulty..just check cables from input to speaker o/p..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.