• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

HF Noise and cracking noise from Gainclone - Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Peter,

Starting building my gainclone from the kit, transformer is 300VA 25VAC,
DC offset is around 6-7 mv, I started with one channel first. Checked all the connection and looks fine.

GainClone-1.jpg

GainClone-2.jpg

When first power up without connecting to the source, noise was acceptable and appear only when I turn the volume all the way up, the noise sounds like Di..Di..Di...

When I connect it to my CD player and start turning the volume up by just a bit, the Di..Di.. HF noise start getting louder. I try playing around with the SG from the RCA port and the groud pin (4th pin) of the volume, the RCA ground and Volume ground are connected to the SG but still no help. I also try connecting the CG to the metal plate too, no help.

I also hear a loud cracking sound when someone turn on/off the light ( they are no connected to the same power socket)

Can you give some suggestion?

Thanks

Hi nights ole,
What kind of rf high pass filter should I be installing and where should it fit in the circuit?
I did not install the Zobel output filter since Peter doesn't think it is necessary, so if I Need the Zobel then what value should I use for the C and R? Do I need to increase the ps smoothing cap as well? i am using 1500uF 50V for each rail. I will try to install the emi power plug filter next.

Sorry for all these question, thanks

for a low pass filter you can use this:
Guitar Pedals: R-C Filter Calculator

I dont know how you have your volume control setup so i cant tell you where to put it, normally it goes right next to the rca's input.

Bert - RC filter

you want something around 100khz-200khz.

1500uf seems low, but you have a huge va transformer and high quality caps. i used 10,000uf caps, but only a 150va transformer for 2 channels.

zobel should be something low like 2-3ohm(2watt) and .1uf. In a perfect world you would not need one, but in the real world it prevents your gain clone from turning into an unstable am amplifier.

Hi nightanole,
I just installed an ps emi filter but cracking sound from turning off light still there.
My volume is right after the RCA input, RCA + goes to the input pin of the volume, center pin of the volume goes to the Signal in, both RCA - and the volume ground pin go to the signal ground.
Once I got things working then I will start to try with larger caps and CRC ps filter. But one thing at a time, first thing is to clear all the HF noise.

Of course, this is an Audiosector board so will obviously not have high pass, low pass, Zobel, Schmobel or any other bits of circuitry that some deem essential. These boards work perfectly well in the vast majority of situations and yes, mine works absolutely beautifully in standard minimal form.

Keep lead lengths short and direct (<4") and get it cased in an aluminium enclosure. Then ground the case securely to AC mains earth which you haven't got going anywhere. Then connect CG (chassis ground) to the mains ground point. Your board is open to the elements so get that sorted out before adding all the networks etc., there are audible benefits in keeping it minimal if at all possible. If you are unsure about the DC offsets in whatever you are connecting to the input, then you will need a DC blocker capacitor (4u7 polystyrene works well) - mine is DC coupled.

Nigel

Hi,
I got it sorted out now by replacing the 10uf 50V(C1/C2) with 47uf 50V and all that HF noise are now gone. I added a 4700uf 63V Cap to the 1500uf 35V cap on both rail for 1 channel just to see how it will turn out. I also use 4.7uf NP Cap in place of the R1 in one channel see if that makes any different.

I am keeping the signal cable to 12" before I transplant it to the aluminum enclosure and that doesn't seems to pickup any noise there.

Anyway the sound is good and the heatsink doesn't get hot, just warm so far.

Last edited:
Hi Corlickmark,
Now I Have attached a EMI/RF filter with a 250VAC 5A rating to the power supply before feeding the 300VA 25VAC x2 transformer, the initial problem is gone but now I have another hum problem when attaching both channel to the same transformer.

Hi Dean and Peter,
Sorry for riding on your thread on this issue, I have similar hum issue with my 2 channels setup. I have 1 transformer with 2 secondary (2x 25VAC) feeding 2 x 3875 Chipamp modules with both having it's own PSU module.

Trans(1) -P1 feeding PSU1 of AMP1 and PSU2 of AMP2 on positive rail
Trans(1) -P2 feeding PSU1 of AMP1 and PSU2 of AMP2 on Negative rail

When I isolate one PSU-AMP module by disconnecting the power rails on one module, no hum, very quiet on the other module. This applies to both PSU-AMP module when I swap it so this shown the PSU-AMP module is working fine. Only when I connect both PSU-AMP to the same transformer then it hum. Please note that I have not connect the SC ground and no ground breaker yet, the whole thing is on a cutting board for modup.

I followed Peter's grouding method for each module, do I need to handle the start ground differently when connecting a single transformer to 2 PSU-AMP module? Any suggestion?

Thanks

Do you have a picture of your grounding?

Page 30 of the instruction PDF shows how to ground it. http://www.audiosector.com/nigc_kit-users_guide.pdf

I have mine on a bread-board and it works flawless from that stand point. (It does pop if I turn on a florescent light. Does not bother me, easy fix if it does)

Notice I even have long leads without problems. (They will be shorter in when installed into chassis.)

I did not ground mine like the instructions, I just did it the original easy way (running individual ground to rectifier board) and it still works silently.

I will try it like the instructions in the final build.

I am also using a single transformer. It was a center-tapped version changed into dual secondaries by splitting the center tap. My transformer is only temporary, until the bigger unit arrives.

Your crackling sound seems like a bad connection somewhere. Remove those screw down terminals, re-flow your solder, check the chip for solder bridge or metal debris.

I see one channel implying a dual-mono setup, what does the other channel sound like?

Attachments

• DSC06684.JPG
    DSC06684.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Hmm, you could try changing one of the leads from the transformer around. Try moving the transformer farther away.

Also I see your running both rectifiers off of one transformer.
You might consider just using one rectifier board, after all you only have one transformer.
That might solve your problem. You might not have any benefit vs. troubles by using to rectifier boards with the one transformer.

to stop this frequency interference you need to add a high pass or band pass filter. otherwise, the problem will continue. from my point of view you should attach a EMI filter with your power supply. if you tell me the details i can help you to calculate the required rating of the filter.

what kid of details do you need exactly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.