• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

cooling of TDA

Congratulations for this excelent project! I am going to replicate this DAC too. In my hifi rig, P. Daniel's shigaclone starving for a good DAC :). At the picture showed at the 1st page, I can't see any cooler. I guess, in the absence of passive cooler at 8.3V the TDA chip get very hot, or?!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So finally i have put my birch-board dac in to a enclosure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and as you see i have instead of capacitors on the output used transformers. :) Very happy with that.

Thanks Peter once again for a fantastic design

/Anders

Any similar XOR Gate should do. Although my suggestion would be to omit this chip altogether, unless you expect to be swapping polarity very often. You can correct absolute phase by simply swapping your speaker cables so that amp "-" goes to speaker "+". Just remember to swap cables for both speakers, otherwise you will end up with speakers playing out of phase.

Hi Peter,
I am looking at images from your audiosector website that shows a version of your TDA1543 SPDIF DAC on a single PCB. It has a single Hammond 16V(229D16) transformer. I am a fledgling builder in the digital realm and was hoping to build this project as a learning tool. Am I right in the one transformer? If so did this operate both DAC and receiver with 16V instead of the 18V shown in this DIYAudio build? If I can do with single is there any forum conversations on that design I can reference?
Thank you for your help, your ideas and build skills are inspiring.
Steve(hartbigsky)

Hi,

I built the analogue section of the design posted in Uncle_Leon's post #237. Currently it is fed with a I2S signal from my Amanero, but next step will be to build the digital section with the cs8412.

For IV coupling capacitors, I am using some Dayton Audio 4.7uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitors from Parts Express. I wanted to try some other capacitors but wasn't sure if I needed to stick to the 4.7uf value. Are there any good alternatives that can be recommended (in lieu of Blackgates)? Should I stick to 4.7uf? TIA for any advice.

Link to post # 237:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...ng-limits-tda1543-nos-dac-24.html#post3283399

Hi Peter,
I am looking at images from your audiosector website that shows a version of your TDA1543 SPDIF DAC on a single PCB. It has a single Hammond 16V(229D16) transformer. I am a fledgling builder in the digital realm and was hoping to build this project as a learning tool. Am I right in the one transformer? If so did this operate both DAC and receiver with 16V instead of the 18V shown in this DIYAudio build? If I can do with single is there any forum conversations on that design I can reference?
Thank you for your help, your ideas and build skills are inspiring.
Steve(hartbigsky)

You can find forum discussion here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149601-audiosector-usb-dac.html

It's perfectly fine to use single transformer. I'm using Hammond with dual 8V windings: one for DAC, one for receiver circuit.