• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just gone back to original small cap in 906 and tried oscon 47/16 in 916.
Sounds pretty good so after all the experimentation my position pretty much the same as the start of this thread.
So my clone will remain like this, full bodied sound with more detail than you can take in.:)

Next step is to get it into it's case and hopefully it will continue to improve.

2kg lead shot
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mock up with spare transport
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Help, getting drop outs

I've put together all pieces and I have the player running, digital out is arount .5 v

Dac locks onto signal and plays, only I get a drop out every 15 to 20 seconds. Power supply seems ok with constant 8v. The drop out is for just a split second and continuosly repeats every 15 to seconds.

Any suggestions as to what to check for, I have not removed any parts from digital boards yet.

I've posted on the original thread also, but have had no answers yet.

The schematic show external PS. Two wires from PS are connected to the pads where choke was. Since BG FK is hard to find these days, I use BG STD with BG N 4.7uF bypass.

I add two output resistors: 300/100 Dale (you may also consider S102/Caddock) and in place of C916 I instal BG N, either 47/50 or 33/16 depending on availability.

Hi Peter. I'm reviving this thread to ask about your supply. By any chance had you an opportunity to try any of the newer types of electrolytics in place of the Black Gates? Is there no other which can provide a sound equivalent to the F or FK type?

Tony, unfortunately there is no Black Gate equivalent among the newer caps. Black Gates are still the best and only.

For information about other caps you could have a look at my "big capacitor test": http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-97.html#post2571790

I have tested more caps since but the results haven't changed much, except:
- Some people find Os-Cons sound too hard for their taste and for those I recommend replacing them with Starget in the C916; in the PSU replace it with Rubycon ZL/Nichicon FG or another Starget.
- I now consider "no cap" at C916 inferior to both OsCon and Starget.
- BG STD 1000uF/50 is a bit better than BG STD 1000uF/25.
- BG Nx HiQ 47uF/6.3 is better than BG N 47/50.
and also:
- all electrolytic caps can be improved no end by wood-modding.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Here's the user response I just received today, regarding the CD transport:

It has been several months since I purchased a CD transport from you. I have finally put it into use, and I want you to know how pleased I am with it. I am using it with an Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold DAC (with Voltikus power supply); the inter-connect between the transport and the DAC is a Kubala-Sosna S/PDIF cable. The outputs are connected to a pair of Genelec powered monitors. I use the system for very critical near-field monitoring, and it is excellent for that purpose.

I have just got a EZ31 and working my Singaclone based on mod .
It might be silly questions. Could anyone help me why all the control panel buttons are not working? I checked FPC placed correct side. After power on the small LCD display shown "--" Than after disc spin few second it shown "00"??

Is it optical head problem or control board issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.