• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

Well, isn't it strange that there are so many different brands and designs of interconnects, speaker cables and AC cords, but nobody so far came up with an "audiophile" version of umbilical cable?

A local friend of mine got into cables business couple years ago and out of curiosity he built and umbilical with a similar design as his other cables: BLUEBERRY HILL AUDIO-Manufacturer of high-end cables

When I got invited for an audition, I got really surprised, as the gains were very similar to what you can achieve by plugging in a quality interconnect, to the point that the circuit actually sounded better with that special umbilical than when PS and phono circuit were connected directly on one board.

I'm not really familiar with the details of his products, but from what I've heard, the materials, the geometry (spacing of the conductiors inside the "silver snake"), raw wire surface treatment are all very critical for best results.

I did slowly replace all my cables with his and so far I'm very content. You can also notice that I even use his umbilical on CEC TL0.

Attachments

• sys2.jpg
    sys2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Great! I see that Blueberry Hill will be represented at the TAVES show here in Toronto! I am looking forward to checking out his products...

BTW, the hissing - I replaced the opamps from real ones from digikey and waddyaknow, it's fixed...So beware cheaper OPA637/627 from China! I guess the old "If it sounds to good to be true..." bit me in the butt once again :)
Byron

I'm about to order "The Phono Stage" build kit, but I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on the parts.

1. What would the optimum voltage be for running this unit on battery power? I have access to high capacity (3,000-4,000 mah) NIMH battery packs (12v & 14.4v) and plan on going that route instead of the power supply. If I remember correctly this will require 2 separate packs for +/- voltage.

Last year, I remember reading that Peter recommends additional capacitors be used in the battery power supply. What are your recommendation on brand, type, value, quantity and implementation in the circuit?

Has anyone heard the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil caps in place of the V-Caps? I like what I've read and they would save me around $80 on the build, so I think I'm going to try them.

James

I'm about to order "The Phono Stage" build kit, but I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on the parts.

1. What would the optimum voltage be for running this unit on battery power? I have access to high capacity (3,000-4,000 mah) NIMH battery packs (12v & 14.4v) and plan on going that route instead of the power supply. If I remember correctly this will require 2 separate packs for +/- voltage.

Last year, I remember reading that Peter recommends additional capacitors be used in the battery power supply. What are your recommendation on brand, type, value, quantity and implementation in the circuit?

Has anyone heard the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil caps in place of the V-Caps? I like what I've read and they would save me around $80 on the build, so I think I'm going to try them.

James

James,

I would like to try this stage also on batteries, I have had success using 4 x 6v lantern batteries on other stages, they are cheap and last a long time.

This gives +12, 0 , -12v when used in series with the center tap for ground.

Not sure about extra capacitors though.

Anyone tried altering the gain on this stage, is it controlled by the two 3.3k resistors?

Phillip

According to Peter, the Shelter at 0.4mv and 12 ohms makes 0.0333 ma. This is the same as the Benz ACE-L, which I have tried. I can turn the volume to about 10 o'clock MAX.

Then the YC-03S will make 0.25/1.2 = .2083 ma, which is 15 db higher.

That won't leave a lot on the volume control.

The above is with NO output resistor.

Do any of you guys know what size resistor on the output will I need to drop that 15 db? Or even more???

Thanks!