• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

Is it easy to modify the circuit to lower the gains to work with MM cartridges? Or are you planning to design an MM version of the circuit?

I doubt it...

Peter's original postings indicate that it is his version of the Phonoclone which in turn was inspired by the 47 Laboratory Phonocube. The low gain version of the Phonocube is 75db, the high gain is 90db and the overall gain achieved is wholly dependent on the cartridge impedance.

You can read about it here:

http://sakurasystems.com/products/47phono.html

but the details are sketchy. I had a Phonocube for a year or two about 8-9 years ago and it remains in my mind as one of the best sounding phono stages I have ever heard. It was also the quietest which is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

To be precised, it is my implementation of phonocube circuit. AFAIK, it is exactly same schematic, I'm just using different part choices and different PS. The circuit is different from the phonoclone popularized here, and based on some comments from people who built both, it's also better sounding. With proper selection of opamps, it does not require output coupling caps (offset stays below 2mV if you are lucky, on average it is below 10mV).

To get idea on the sound, you may read this review (of the original product): http://sakurasystems.com/reviews/reviews9.html

I wasn't much into vinyl myself and I always though that well done digital playback system can equal analog. After listening to this phonostage in a well assembled analog rig (modified Versa Dynamics with ZYX Universe silver) I now simply don't think it's possible: the vinyl is so much better ;)

I have a Zu Denon 103 that I would like to try with it. But I also have a couple of nice MM cartridges.

Just out of curiosity, can I reverse the input/output on my step up transformer so that I can lower the gain of my MM cartridges and make them work with MC phono amps? ;)

Nah, well you can only listen to 1 at a time. I've 2 pretty good ones, 2 ok ones so I could use 4 I suppose!!

What I say next might be controversial: but I think its very very hard for a MM cart to meet and beat an MC one. Even the cheaper MC ones seem to have a clarity to them that the MMs just can't surpass. Actually might post a poll on that one!

Fran

Last edited: