• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

Peter Daniel said:

Plitron lead time is approx 10 days. The problem though is their $250 minimum order.

If you use 24V rails only on the other transformer, it should work fine too.
Thanks for the info Peter. I called Plitron yesterday only to find out about there minimum. It truly sucks. I spent two hours on the phone today calling distrubters for Hammond and all the people that I talked to where talking massive wait times and silly prices. I was quoated $300 or more by one guy, Silly. Either I try and convince a couple of other people to by them with me from Plitron or I am looking south of the boarder. So this leads me to ask. Where are people buying there 300VA, 22x22V AC transformers from? And did you wait weeks?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mike-Toronto said:

Thanks for the info Peter. I called Plitron yesterday only to find out about there minimum. It truly sucks. I spent two hours on the phone today calling distrubters for Hammond and all the people that I talked to where talking massive wait times and silly prices. I was quoated $300 or more by one guy, Silly. Either I try and convince a couple of other people to by them with me from Plitron or I am looking south of the boarder. So this leads me to ask. Where are people buying there 300VA, 22x22V AC transformers from? And did you wait weeks?

Mike,

You might want to try Richard Sumner. He's local and I've always found him very good to deal with.

Regards,
Dan

Redshift187 said:

I ordered a single 300VA from Plitron and had no issues. Was $130 shipped, but you should be able to pick it up and save $30.
How long agao was that? I wonder if they have changed there policy. I asked if I could go over there and pick it up and they said no. "even if you where to come and pick it up our minimum is $250" She explained that they needed to be wound. I would have gone up there today if I could have.

Dan thanks again. I called Richard Summer. He was great to deal with. As his site advertises he makes quality products that are designed for people making audio hardware in a timely fashion. I am looking at about ten days for a fully encapsulated toroidal. His prices are in line with Plitron.
He also shared with me that Plitron is having products made in China now. I don't know if it is all there products are anything more but he seemed quite sure about it. Who knows the transformers from China could be just a well made as the Canadian made ones. Only time will tell.

We have success!
Got my kit tonight and built it in a couple of hours. Amazing.
Ok it was bound to happen. More questions :eek:

The first one is in regards to the 22.k resister that is is in the RF position on the board. Is the resister in the RF position the resister that was previously mounted to the chip?

The second thing is about the available space for larger caps. Is there any gains to using larger caps?

And last but not least, before ordering this transformer. I am going for a 300VA, with 24V rails. The question is should I have it made with 117Vac or 120 Vac? The leads in my house move from 117 to 120 throughout the day. If I go with 117 do I risk blowing anything up?

Ok time for bed!

Mike-Toronto said:
He also shared with me that Plitron is having products made in China now.

It could be that some of their products are made in China (as with Hammond), but certainly not the standard toroids we are using. The lead time is 10 days so it would be hard to bring them from China in that time frame, besides last time I was doing my pickup, I asked where they had been made.

OTOH, 229D16 Hammond I'm using with a DAC is made in China and you can see it right away: the finish is slightly different that Canadian version (which is impossible to order in small quantities presently), however the performance is still the same.

Mike-Toronto said:
We have success!
Got my kit tonight and built it in a couple of hours. Amazing.
Ok it was bound to happen. More questions :eek:

The first one is in regards to the 22.k resister that is is in the RF position on the board. Is the resister in the RF position the resister that was previously mounted to the chip?

The second thing is about the available space for larger caps. Is there any gains to using larger caps?

And last but not least, before ordering this transformer. I am going for a 300VA, with 24V rails. The question is should I have it made with 117Vac or 120 Vac? The leads in my house move from 117 to 120 throughout the day. If I go with 117 do I risk blowing anything up?

With Rf resistor there are two mounting options: either directly on board in a spot marked Rf, or directly on a chip, as pictured here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=584427#post584427 With a Premium kit I would recommend the latter method.

As to large caps, it's really up to you, some people like them, some people don't. I only use small caps now and my impressions regarding different configurations have been posted here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=574431#post574431

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=581230#post581230

I would go with 117V rails and Plitrons are made with 115V rating. There is no risk of blowing anything.

I have already soldered the resister to the board and trimmed it:xeye: Oh well life goes on. I ordered the transformer. Went with 300VA with 24V rails. I figure I will always be driving 8-6 Ohm speakers so 24V seemed to be a good compromise.
As for the caps, dam that is a HUGE topic. I am not all that surprised though. I will be sticking with the panasonics. I figure you have been at this for ten years and know MUCH more than I ever intend to know about these things.

audiojoy said:
Just posting to say thank you Daniel for the very reasonably priced kit amp boards. i completed the kit a week ago with mostly premium parts and am in the process of burning it in.

Having owned many valve amplifiers and various iterations and tweaked versions of the T amp and the Charlize in the past, i must say i am mightily impressed with the sound. Totally unlike those T-amps which could sound cold and sterile. if i was listening blind i would not for one moment have dismissed it as not being a valve amplifier of sorts.Very neutral, tonally accurate with good bass, excellent timing and rhythm and dynamically all I could ask for in a sensitive speaker set up. Although the DIY speakers are also relatively new to me i am still struggling to find a distinguishing character to the sound from the amp, and that in my book is high praise indeed. i am waiting for the parts to build the F5 next which i am very excited about.

So thank you again Daniel for that and the Shigaclone the best transport i have ever used.

Thank you; your impressions are pretty much in line with the review posted on June 3rd, 2005 on my home page (Latest News section): http://audiosector.com/ ;)

hi,Peter

i soldered parts on board.
could you tell me about the rectifier board position, which one is better?

Attachments

• p1000617-1.jpg
    p1000617-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 964