• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Whoops I haven't done that in a long time:eek: It was a solder bridge between two pins on the 4780. I connected the second channel and have an offset of 260mv on both channels. This is without the input connected the pot; wires just hanging. Will the offset drop when I connect it up?

Why would anybody suggest input caps if those voltages are only with attenuator and without any source connected yet? The input caps are needed in case the source producing the offset. I'm not familiar with LDR, but I don't think it's adding any offset?

Is it passable? How much offset do you read at normal listening levels? If you won't be exceeding 80mV or so, I would say it is passable. Otherwise you need NFB cap, not an input cap.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for the response Peter. I connected the integrated GainClone to my cd player and a pair of 4" Tandy speakers and it plays music; spent the last hour listening to J J Cale live. I never thought to check the dc when listening; I take it thats what you meant? I'll listen again tomorrow.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A couple of photo's. I won't get chance to listen until tomorrow and check offset dc.

SAM_0060.jpg

SAM_0061.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Tried it out this morning and with the cd player and an old pair of speakers connected dc offset maxs out at 38mv on one channel and 46mv on the other. I've been listening to music for the past two hours and nothing overheats and sounds good too even through a crappy pair of 4" drivers.