• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

how do you know? what are the signs of fake chips?
BTW - all markings are laser engraved, not paint. Top right corners on both chips are not even. More detailed pics are attached

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 270
Here is my variation of Peters GC. LM3875 chips are missed - cant find genuine ones))). Boards are tiny and looks very cool.
NFB resistor (Thin Film SMD Resistor, 0.1% 25ppm) is located right between IC pins 3 and 8 for the shortest ossible loop. Capacitors are 2200uf @50V Nichicon KG Gold Tune.

Attachments

• GC3.jpg
    GC3.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 260
  • GC2.jpg
    GC2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 251
  • GC1.jpg
    GC1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 120
Measuring DC Offset of my DAC

Hi. I really want to build an Audio Sector Gain clone Kit.

How would I use it?
I have built a raspberry Pi streamer connected to a DAC, streaming FLAC files from a plex server. This is where I need a power amp. Volume is set via rotary encoder on the DAC. Speakers will be small bookshelf 8 ohm (diy) and it will be used at moderate volumes

After reading 228 pages of this thread :eek:. I am worried about a few things.

One of these things I read about is DC Offset. Although I've built a few amp kits and speakers in the past ...successfully... I know very little about electronics. So can someone confirm I am reading the DC offset of the output of the DAC correctly.

I tested both left and right output RCA's. The positive lead of the DMM on the center of the RCA and the negative lead to the ring of the RCA. I found it hard to keep the DMM probes still on the RCA surface so used the probes on the solder where they connected to the PCB (surface mount).

I tested both left and right with music playing and without, and also at the end of RCA audio cable. No amp is connected to the analog output RCA's.

I can test music IS playing from the headphone output of the DAC but all measurements were taken without headphones connected as they wont be used.

Below is a photo of the DMM. Am I reading this correctly as 0.9 mV DC?
ACtC-3dk3JE1V-INAU9F4hsTI3C1C8iyuwSmNIfzktvLaUuwuz9kUFnkte89XghizKYT9L3Gt9FqQsRxfgBkI1Yp3J84Gn4bEw4vIPCeirOj_DiZnMMhhTSxIdfaXCvBte041WOLPoybGXYR1pgWcsRVWbVlCg=w676-h1005-no

The left channel reads 00.9 and the right reads 01.0, whether the volume is up or down. Sometimes I got measurements of 00.4 to 01.4 but mostly the measurements where as previous.

With the music stopped or muted (from the streamer), both the left and right read -00.0.

If I connect 1 Metre long RCA cables (cheap ones in my workshop I wont be using in real life) I get DC measurements of -00.9 left and -01.0 right whether volume is up or down.

So have I measured DC offset and read the DMM correctly.?
And does that mean then this offset will be ok with the LM 3875 Kit as per Peters minimal recommendations without the optional components?

Last edited:
Hi Peter.
I ordered the 3875 kit last week and I'm putting together an order of other parts ill need.
I cannot find thee power LED you mention here.
Will this LED do?

If so what resistor should I buy to match still the 62K?
Also on specifying resistors...please excuse my ignorance...should I assume a metal film type is correct?
what about:
1.Tolerance
2.Power Rating
3.Voltage Rating.

I'm fine with all the sockets and wire etc and will follow your guide explicitly, but apart from the led and resistor, are there any other electronic components that aren't in the kit that I will need?

This came out really, really nice.
One of the best builds I’ve seen so far.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the kind words.

I did email you with a question regarding the amp but you may have missed it.

I have been testing with a pair of Spendor SP1 speakers which have a sensitivity of 87 dB/W and it sounds great. I am finding that I need to turn the volume up quite high to get decent volume (1-2 o'clock position), I'm not sure if it just doesn't have quite enough power or perhaps my choice of potentiometer isn't ideal? It is a TKD CP600 50k, which apparently has a slightly unusual "ladder type log curve" according to the data sheet.

Do you have any experience with this? Perhaps I should try a lower value pot, this particular one also comes in 10kohms.

Cheers,
Jeremy