• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Klischp 8" Shielded Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
klipsch.jpg

Has Anyone Used this Woofer?

Last edited:
Sort of... I have it mounted in a box... IIRC, it is a 46 litre bass reflex box. I don't recall the tuning. Sometime over the holidays I'll be finishing this project. I think that it is essentially a subwoofer. I have plans for it to be used with a 5.5" midrange and the ApexJr silk dome tweeter in an active 3-way system. It seems a bit low in sensitivity; it was probably originally used with a plate amp plus passive mid and tweeter. For this I would recommend the full-range amp at ApexJr.

Sort of... I have it mounted in a box... IIRC, it is a 46 litre bass reflex box. I don't recall the tuning. Sometime over the holidays I'll be finishing this project. I think that it is essentially a subwoofer. I have plans for it to be used with a 5.5" midrange and the ApexJr silk dome tweeter in an active 3-way system. It seems a bit low in sensitivity; it was probably originally used with a plate amp plus passive mid and tweeter. For this I would recommend the full-range amp at ApexJr.

ok...Five questions here

the frame appears Cast,aluminum or Polymer?

is the cone Paper?

is the Surround Rubber?

does it have a decent amount of excursion?

does it have enough High End Extension to be used in a 3/2 Way?

and the Cerwin Vega FR Amp Sounds nice....but has a 220 Volt Power Requirement...i do not have the Tools to modify it for 120 V.

1. Polymer. Looks like GRP.
2. Paper
3. Rubber
4. I have no reliable means of measuring excursion, but I estimate the performance to be acceptible, given the amount of free travel of the suspension.
5. It is a 4 ohm device, so paralleling them would not be recommended. I would not go for less than a 3-way system. Not even 2.5-way. I have lost my measurement data for this project of mine, but I'm almost certain that I was aiming for a woofer/midrange crossover of 200-300Hz, max. I think that 90Hz was optimal, though.
6. ApexJr had (has?) 110V transformers for this amplifier. If you do go with a plate amp, note that some of these come with a bass boost that is tailored for a specific subwoofer/box combo; check that the supplier has instructions to defeat the boost, as it is unlikely to coincide with your own configuration's requirements.

I picked 8 of these up from a guy in Arkansas who bought out a Klipsch dealer/service center that went bankrupt. I paid $25 each (not bad) I have measured T/S parameters but not on the computer I am using now. If anbody wants them PM me and I can have them to you by the 15th of July (when I return home, I don't have Go TO my PC yet). I copied them in .pdf format and I have scribbled on the bottom about 2 or 3 different box designs with volume and port dimensions based on the measured t/s, I think the lowest had an F3 around 35hz, I think. I will be using these in a quasi-line array set up with 4 per side. I did make some simple 2 ways with them crossed around 2200 sing some cheapo ribbons. Of course the beam badly but these were for a friend who wanted something to use for carioke (sp?) outdoors. They worked quite well for this and actually didn't sound half bad in his small living room, plenty of bass with the room gain.
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.