Help with design/geometry for DIY table...designers wanted :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all...

I'm starting to think about building a DIY turntable, it seems like a fun project and one that I'm certainly going to get a lot of use out of. I think I've decided on using Scheu parts, such as their 30mm or 50mm acrylic platter, outboard motor and expensive but nice inverted bearing. Tonearm (for the time being) will be a Rega RB250. Now the only part is to get the design all worked out.

I have a woodworker friend who will be doing the construction of the pieces, but I need help with dimensions and geometry. Pardon my horrible Paint skills: :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's kind of what I'm going for...like a Teres-looking table.

I know the spindle-to-center of tonearm distance for a Rega is 223mm, but I'm not too sure about...well, the other dimensions :) Figuring that the "big circle" end under the platter is going to be 12" or a little over, I'm not sure how long to make it or how big to make the other end, if this is making any sense at all...

Does anyone who has built these kind of TT's before care to chime in with some help, or better design skills than I? :cool:

Thanks in advance...

~ Jim

The most significant measurement for the RB250 is the pivot to spindle length 223mm +/- 1mm. Mark your centre-points for where the platter spindle will locate and where you will drill for the tone arm base and you are then setup fine. The rest of your design will execute basically on asthetics you are trying to achieve.

I'm not sure if this answers your question on measurements but follow that course and you will be fine. Remember one major tip: MEASURE TWICE, CUT (DRILL) ONCE!

Hi Jim,

The drawing is the easy part. Deciding what the configuration should be is a sometimes a little harder. In your case, choosing ready made components makes things easier, as long as the parts have correct dimensions. If they don't, then you will have to what till they are in your hands.
I can certainly help you in the drawing department. Of course the fact that I love turntables doesn't hurt.:D

Jeff

Another thing I can't quite figure out is the height that the tonearm needs to be mounted at...

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 30mm platter, could I just mount the tonearm at the same level as the platter? (like a regular Rega Planar with no "armboard", is what I mean) I'm considering using 1.5" or 2" thick butcher block material as the base, having it all in one clean piece would look sharp, IMO. The part that goes under the tonearm would obviously be dado'ed to make it less than 27mm so I could mount the arm.

Thanks guys for the input so far...and for putting up with my n00bishness :cool:

If you are going with a fixed arm height, it should be mounted level to a record sitting on platter with the stylus sitting in groove. This will give you proper VTA. You can measure by using a ruler and check various points along the arm tube relative to the platter. Some guys have used playing cards stacked up to level one point and recheck down the arm tube to see if it still is level to the record with the stylus sitting in groove.

Hi,
on a standard Rega arm the underside of the headshell is 45mm above the armboard with the arm level, so you could take your armboard-to record distance and (loaded) cartridge height from that to work out the mounting height.

I'd really recommend allowing a few mm of vta adjustment because some cartridges (and records) like to be run a bit tail up or down.
regards, Jeff

Thank you for that info. So if I have 45mm of room to play with...

30mm of platter + 4mm of record/mat + 14mm of cartridge = 48mm of clearance...would an aftermarket VTA adjuster like a Michell or Origin Live give me that extra height without having to build anything else on the plinth?

If you're planning to experiment with arms in the future, I'd suggest making an aluminum arm board for the Rega, or source an existing armboard from a suitable TT. If you just drill a hole for the Rega, you can be certain that it won't suit whatever arm you try next.

I don't care too much about a dustcover. I'll probably just use one from a Michell Gyrodec, something that covers the platter and the tonearm only.

If you're planning to experiment with arms in the future, I'd suggest making an aluminum arm board for the Rega, or source an existing armboard from a suitable TT. If you just drill a hole for the Rega, you can be certain that it won't suit whatever arm you try next.

I doubt I'll do much experimenting, might just work my way up the ladder of upgrades for the '250, and see where that goes...if I want to experiment with a unipivot, the VPI JMW series uses the same geometry and mounting pattern, IMO...so that's enough to keep me busy for a while.

Jim,

Here is a very crude sketch with a few dimensions. I've given you an extra 2mm for cart. height, which is easily changed. Not sure if this is going to help you?

Jeff

Attachments

• glowbug turntable 1.jpg
    glowbug turntable 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 248
Hi, most of the commercial vta adjusters actually raise the arm a bit to start with. It's some years since I had an Origin live one and my own opinion was that theirs actually had a significantly bad effect on the sound, but there are a lot of alternatives out there.

If you're in DIY mode these aren't hard things to make. At the most basic, a sliding sleeve and a locknut, or add a couple of plates and a micrometer head for the ultimate Graham-style one.

regards, Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.