Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Ladegaard tonearm - the real DIY winner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2003, 07:18 PM   #21
fdegrove is offline fdegrove  Europe
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi Michael,

Quote:
and the oil/lead fill was substituted for sand/lead
Good idea.

I once tried the thickest silicone oil I could get and it was still leaking...what a mess.

Keep us posted,
Old 2nd October 2003, 07:46 PM   #22
livemusic is offline livemusic  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimate Ladegaard.

After three modifications done, I still had a feeling the great potential of Paul Ladegaard design is not fully discovered. So, based on my previous experience and being deeply infected by DIY fever, I decided to go further. The main features of recent modification are:
1. CNC-machined acrylic headshell.
2. Carbon fiber arm wand, CLD damped externally, i.e. aluminum tube above carbon, placed between headshell and mount yoke, with the gap filled by silicone caulk. So the arm wand rigidity is not compromised.
3. Vertical knife-bearing consists of two small hobby knife blades, resting on V-shape bronze beads. The bearing fixed on slider laterally with two pre-tensioned fishing line pieces.
4. Silicone damped counterweight, with laterally split effective mass. Here we have the hollow aluminum housing with a steel ball, resting on spherical surface, inside it. The counterweight is partly filled with silicone fluid. Recent design is, in fact, a further development my pendylum-like counterweight, just heavily damped.
5. All the metal parts are drilled through for the weight reduction, in every possible place. The goal was to keep the lateral mass as low as possible.
In the end, the sonic improvement is major: big and tight bass, much better details, and even my pre-amp volume button is cranked lower now. I personally have had very much fun with my tonearm project, thanks to the brilliant Ladegaard design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0196.jpg (67.7 KB, 4664 views)
Old 2nd October 2003, 07:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimate Ladegaard

Closer look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0176.jpg (70.7 KB, 4416 views)
Old 2nd October 2003, 07:51 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimate Ladegaard

Side view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0174.jpg (52.1 KB, 4555 views)
Old 3rd October 2003, 01:05 PM   #25
slowmotion is offline slowmotion  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi livemusic,

The arm looks very good, and I bet it sounds great ,too

The only small thing I can suggest is maybe to use screws that blend better with the looks of the rest of the arm, then the whole arm would look even better,
but that is only cosmetic, wouldn't have any influence on the sound at all.

Thinking of building something like the Ladegaard my self, so your arm is great for inspiration!

Very nice work

cheers
Old 3rd October 2003, 09:57 PM   #26
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

URL to ladegaard arm sketchs?
Old 3rd October 2003, 10:36 PM   #27
fdegrove is offline fdegrove  Europe
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi Micha,

How's bass performance?

Cheers,
Old 3rd October 2003, 11:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi Micha,

How's bass performance?

Cheers,
Hi Frank,
Way better! First and foremost, because of more rigid bearing/armwand. What surprised me, no hights/sparkle deterioration, or boomy bass, in spite of high damping.
Splitted lateral mass idea works! Pendulum-like weight maybe was not free from drawbacks, but it was the step in right direction. I tried the simple decoupled counterweight, as you proposed: much worse, just sucks the life from music. This arm is tailored for my high compliance Shure, so I had to have low vertical effective mass, and to bring the lateral mass into compartible region also. Thanks for you criticism - it makes me creative.

Michael
Old 4th October 2003, 03:43 AM   #29
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
the brilliant design of Poul Ladegaard
After seeing an air track in my physics classes in university I have off and on for the last 30 years tried to come up with an air bearing arm that could be built simply. It always seemed that
a simple design could be done using an air track and thus avoid complicated machining.

I never came up with anything near as clever as this. As a lot of you know , I insist on projects being able to be built on the kitchen table. This one is for the DIY hall of fame.

Michael: I'll bet you could machine or grind the inside of the traveling angle so it is about half as heavy.
Old 4th October 2003, 07:54 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

As a lot of you know , I insist on projects being able to be built on the kitchen table.
Hi Variac,
There is no such a complicating manufacturing in my project, as it may be seems. I just placed the order in local machine shop, and spent about 200 bucks, not more. Belive me, I have no special skills or tools, just primitive drilling press, files and vices. The only thing I always have on my kitchen table, is paper and pencil. I don't have to make any special effort for design, it simply never leaves me, floating around in my head, and it's for free.
I must confess, I've never been satisfied with the things done, call it insanity or infection: if it can be improved, why not? But most of the forum inmates are familiar with this disease symptoms, I suppose.
Regards,
Michael

Ladegaard tonearm - the real DIY winnerHide this!Advertise here!