Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegaard)
Airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegaard)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 11:04 AM   #1
koyaanisqatsi is offline koyaanisqatsi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegraard )

i've been reading the Ladegaard tonearm threads and have come up with a new airbearing design (henceforth know as the koyaanisqatsi-airbearing-tonearm (lol).

the first airbearing tonearm: Post #39

a diy Ladengraad design: Post #58

basically i want to float a solid balsawood cylinder on a semi-circular concave rail, with a ebony armtube passing through its' central axis. air will be supplied by a giant seringe with a weight on top to fine tune and regulate airpressure; similar to the old coal gas storage tanks (but not so big i hope!), to refill the cylinder i'll take the weight off ,open a valve and pull the cylinder back up by hand; sucking air in.

1.keeping unnecassary weight to a minimum (whilst using the most suitable material for the armtube; hardwood).

2.balsawood will insulate the arm from air supply noise (the rush of air)

3.eliminate ringing by not using any metal on the tonearm (only in the counterweight: which will be something like Jeffs' counterweight: http://www.william-reed.net/audio/newpics/ )

4.eliminate air pump noise- no pump

5.the centre of gravity and the turning axis will be as close together as any normal tonearm: eliminating the need for an underslung counterweight.

does anyone have any thought or suggestions?

thanks
steve
Old 24th October 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default those pics

the first airbearing tonearm: Post #39
a diy Ladegaard : Post #58

hope this works this time
Old 25th October 2006, 08:19 AM   #3
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegaard)

Hi koyaanisqatsi

I'm not trying to be funny and I admire your armbuilding initiative but what is a 'solid cylinder'? I thought (maybe incorrectly), a cylinder is a hollow tube which can't be 'solid' by it's very nature. Is it a thickwall tube or just a plain roundbar?

Regards

bulgin
Old 25th October 2006, 09:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

just a plain solid roundbar (about an inch in diameter)
Old 25th October 2006, 10:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.specializedbalsa.com/dowels.php
Old 26th October 2006, 08:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi koyaanisqatsi

Thanks for the link! I also rcently finished 'half an arm' - a conversion to a j-shaped wand for one of my Micro arms which had a straight graphite wand before. I made the wand from a r/c helicopter landing sled and the front end is now fitted with an sme socket. The reason? I ran out of Micro headshells. Sounds and looks great, but a very fiffly job.

bulgin
Old 26th October 2006, 08:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Darn! these old rheumatoid digits..."fiddly" I meant to write.

bulgin
Old 26th October 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

I wish you best of luck but am very skeptical about your alternative to the air pump.

This is after spending a bit of time working on a Laadegaard arm. It was very difficult for me to get the trough working without a rather large aquarium pump. I tabled the project indefinitely.

Keep us apprised of your progress.
Old 27th October 2006, 08:35 AM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Default Re: Airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegaard)

Quote:
Originally posted by bulgin
Hi koyaanisqatsi

I'm not trying to be funny and I admire your armbuilding initiative but what is a 'solid cylinder'? I thought (maybe incorrectly), a cylinder is a hollow tube which can't be 'solid' by it's very nature. Is it a thickwall tube or just a plain roundbar?

Regards

bulgin
Hi,

By default a sphere, cube, cylinder etc are solid, unless you are referring to the surface.
If you are referring to the surface shape, you do need to specify a thickness.

/sreten.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumbass
I wish you best of luck but am very skeptical about your alternative to the air pump.

This is after spending a bit of time working on a Laadegaard arm. It was very difficult for me to get the trough working without a rather large aquarium pump. I tabled the project indefinitely.

Keep us apprised of your progress.
Hi,

I agree, but it could form the basis of a pressure regulator for
the air pump.

/sreten.
Old 27th October 2006, 06:51 PM   #10
livemusic is offline livemusic  Israel
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve,
I wish you good luck with your project: I like simple real stuff better than any sofisticated discussion.
Practically speaking, I do not think your air supply will be capable to provide required air flow for any considerable time. Once I was fascinated with the idea of using scuba tank as an air source. But, after doing math, I saw that the standard scuba tank of 77 liter/3000 psi will last about 12 hours maximum: you will hardly want to refill it every 3-4 days. Do your math first!
Cheers,
michael

Airbearing tonearm design (not Ladegaard)Hide this!Advertise here!