turntable power problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Heybrook TT2 turntable. Whenever I switch it on, it trips the safety switch in my fuse box which has a 30mA rating (standard for Australia). All power points in my house are connected to this switch.

When I operate through the oven point (which is not connected to the safety switch) the turntable works fine. Powers on and off without fault.

My local hifi shop inspected it and it worked fine, and they were unable to detect any faults in the operation, or in the motor (they dont have a safety switch installed in their premises).

Other than a seperate wall power point for my turntable, is there anything else I could do to make it work with the safety switch in place?

Or is it something more serious like a motor problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The 30mA refers to the residual leakage current limit for circuit breaker.Leakage current has to go somewhere,I was told by a professional electrcian,are'nt they all suppose to be?that if your equipment has no grounding that it will trip the breaker if leakage is more than the design limit which in your case is 30mA.

Is your TT power cord a 2 wire type?which means that there's no ground if so convert to 3pin type and add the ground wire to metal chasis of TT and 3pin plug respectively.OR your ground connection is loose/broken?

Hi Adamt
Does it trip even when it's not connected to anything else?
It's possible that there is a capacitor inside from mains active to earth for noise filtering which is either leaky or of a value which would allow more than 30 mA ground current (0.39uF or greater).
If you are confident, take a look and remove the capacitor if present and try again.

BTW safety switches work by detecting an imbalance between the active and neutral currents, indicating a path to ground.
So if there's no ground, they wont trip.
Cheers
Rob

Problem solved!

Hi friends

thanks for your help.

It turns out it was a poorly wired circuit board. The power cord coming into the motor board had the ground wire soldered in the neutral outlet. THe power cord at the plug end had the same neutral wire connected to the ground. Hence the tripping of my safety switch.

Why the factory would solder a green wire with yellow stripe into the 'neutral' outlet and a brown wire into 'ground' has me beat....

Its time to spin some discs!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.