TT drive belt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Clack said:
I also have a TT with domed pulley. As I like very much the way it sounds with a belt made of dental floss I placed 2 o rings of the right diameter in the pulley, so they keep the belt in the right position. It works on my TT, I will use them as long as I will be able to have a separate PSU with speed control

Interesting....:scratch:
Can you please post some pics... it seems difficult to fix a dental floss wire in a convex pulley.

Ricardo

mm, this may not work in a TT with a suspension like the LP12 or ariston RD80/110. The reason is that when the suspension rocks a bit the string (which is not elastic) will slip. The normal rubber drive belt has enough tension to keep it held in place.

i once made a belt from 6mm tape (cassette tape) but it wouldn't work because of this.

If its not suspended it will work AOK though. I've used floss, thread and now 20mm tape as drive for my Teres deck.

Fran

Regretfully I am connected with a mobile phone. It cannot send pics. Anyway I take some and will post them soon from an internet cafe. Basically the trick works this way: the o rings stand at the upper and the lower edge of the pulley, that is high enough to leave some room (3-4 mm.) for the belt. So the belt is forced to go in the wider part of the pulley. I still have a speed slightly lower than 33 1/3, checked with the strobo of my old RD 40, but it is unnoticeable. My TT is rigid, Kuzma Stabi S, but I think this could work also on suspended TT, as long the belt is not too tight. The suspension rocking is very slight in normal working condition, i.e. not bounced to check its adjustment. Regretfully I am connected with a mobile phone. It cannot send pics. Anyway I take some and will post them soon from an internet cafe. Basically the trick works this way: the o rings stand at the upper and the lower edge of the pulley, that is high enough to leave some room (3-4 mm.) for the belt. So the belt is forced to go in the wider part of the pulley. I still have a speed slightly lower than 33 1/3, checked with the strobo of my old RD 40, but it is unnoticeable. My TT is rigid, Kuzma Stabi S

tt drive belt

hi Ricardo here you have the first pic of the pulley with o rings. hope it is helpful

Attachments

• pulley 1 low.jpg
    pulley 1 low.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 195
Thank you Nanook, I was breaking my head because having listened the sound of my TT with dental floss belt I would never go back to the rubber, but the speed was too low. While searching a DIY PSU to build (too difficult for me? the Kuzma one is about 1000 euros here) my eyes fell down to my tube phono preamp that uses o rings to reduce the microphonic effect of the tubes. I took one and it was just the right size, so I placed the second and it worked. Anyway I hope to realize my own PSU. Perhaps you like Zappa? Me too, quite a lot.

Do I like Zappa?

Yes, of course! Unfortunately none on vinyl. I'm gonna start collecting the Rykodisc collection if available on vinyl.

the solution is nice and simple. I have used a very strong nylon thread that upholsterers use here for car interiors and items to be left out in the weather. It has something like a 125 lbs "test weight" if comparing top fishing line, and doesn't break down over tiume (my spool of thread has lasted over 20 years, has done innumerable car interiors, clothing and audio "repairs. Any time I need good solid "thread" that's what I use.

The issue of getting good pulleys can be tough. But not anymore, thanks to you... a simple wooden dowel of an appropriate size, drilled for a motor shaft (even glued if need be), and a couple of O rings. Great.

The Peter Kelly "group buy" for the Maxxon motor group buy should be considered. You could even use something as simple as a wall wart and the speed adjustment circuit to work it all out, If using a DC motor.

an Altmann style speed controller (via an MP3player and an audio amplifier) could also work nicely if using an AC motor.

I recently "discovered" a very affordable digital tachometer (under CAD $30) for detecting turntable speed. Better than any strobe pattern, and more accurate than the human eye...

Is that a Kuzma turntable you have?

stew

TT belt drive

Yes, a Stabi S with Stogi S arm and VDH DDT II cartridge. I took away the external body from the cartridge and obtained another good improvement for sound. Beyond their fine specs VDHs give the chance to remove ext body with just 3 screws. Their structure remains strong, not needing to use epoxy or else. I tried to use a nylon covered metal thread as a belt, used by my partner for her bijoux works. I left it being afraid to ruin pulley and counterplatter (too hard). Did you use a usual knot with your nylon thread? Isn't it too big? About vinyl reprints they usually sound dead, also the most expensive. Better search old records.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: TT belt drive

Clack said:
About vinyl reprints they usually sound dead, also the most expensive. Better search old records.
Hi

New releases are pressed based on digital (DAT) copies of the original tapes.

Most of the original high freq info is removed..... IMO new vinyl releases can not recreate the original soundstage.

I always look for original 80´s pressings.

BDW... your setup looks awesome...

Today I am replacing my RB80 main bearing oil... wish me luck with my choice (0w30 Sunth Castrol):rolleyes:

Ricardo

TT belt drive

That oil could be too heavy making high mechanical resistance to rotation. Last May Mr. VDH came to Italy and used his oil for my TT bearing with nice results. Digital masters on analog records is the biggest of the many bestialities record industry has made. If a dental floss belt slips, scrap it lightly with a file.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: TT belt drive

Clack said:
That oil could be too heavy making high mechanical resistance to rotation. Last May Mr. VDH came to Italy and used his oil for my TT bearing with nice results. Digital masters on analog records is the biggest of the many bestialities record industry has made. If a dental floss belt slips, scrap it lightly with a file.
After removing the inner platter, I found sthere was still plenty of oil inside the shaft.

I removed it and comparing with the 0w30, it is even more viscous... (Old oil with 30 years..:dead: ).

I had to wait for 1 hour before the platter reached the bottom.

Without the belt, it spins more frelly than before.... I will leave it spinning during the night a report the sound tomorrow.

I can not use dental floss in this suspended TT but thank you nevertheless.

;) Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Clack said:
It is a surgical thread, as such it needs a knot. Actually is big, but don't give problems.
I tried dental floss on a suspended TT (roxsan) of a friend of mine and the belt stays up during playback, giving non problems.

Do you believe I could manage to make such a thread ride on top of a convex pulley ?

My TT has such a pulley and it is necessary to adjust the suspension so as to make it run in the centre of the pulley.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.