Sony ST-S310 tuner trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks,

i wanted to reuse my old ST-S310 (about 15yrs old) these days. But after a minute or two, the signal indicator falls back to zero and the tuner mutes. Once that happened, i cannot receive any of the stored programmes in stereo nor tune into a new one. When i tune through and come near a station, the indicator rises but when at the exact freq, it falls back to zero and mutes.If i switch to mono, it plays even without any indicated signal. I have to switch it off for an hour to get stereo and then i can repeat it all.

Any idea anyone? Any service manual floating around?

Matthias
(Berlin, Germany)

Sony ST-S310

Hi
I have a Sony ST-S310 Tuner which seems to have a memory problem. If I switch it off over night it looses all memorised radio stations. However if I only switch it off for a few hours it keeps its memory OK... Any ideas on this problem anyone as it is irritating to have to manual tune everyday or leave it on all the time.

Help !

Hey folks,

i wanted to reuse my old ST-S310 (about 15yrs old) these days. But after a minute or two, the signal indicator falls back to zero and the tuner mutes. Once that happened, i cannot receive any of the stored programmes in stereo nor tune into a new one. When i tune through and come near a station, the indicator rises but when at the exact freq, it falls back to zero and mutes.If i switch to mono, it plays even without any indicated signal. I have to switch it off for an hour to get stereo and then i can repeat it all.

Any idea anyone? Any service manual floating around?

Matthias
(Berlin, Germany)

Hello !

I have the exact same problem with my Sony ST-S310

About the " Carefully adjust the discriminator coil. You may also need to resolder that coil. " , how can i do that ??

Here it is a video of a ST-S310 Disassembled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcXSOOKW4o

Here it is the service manual: Téléchargement Gratuit Documents Techniques Audiosony/sts310.pdf

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You resolder anything that looks suspect. Its only 15 minutes work to go over every joint on the board if needs be. The coils and wound components are worth a close look. That includes the ones in the can... there may be a metal plate to remove under the PCB to gain access. None of the adjustable coils should be altered but it is common to find problems with the miniature presets. Mark them and then give them a turn to and fro several times finally resetting to the exact position they were in.

Oh, i didn´t noticed this was from 2006 !! Well, it will be funny to see our grand grand children someday searching this early century stuff that we´re putting online today :)

Could you at least remember if you needed to replace any electrolytic capacitor, or adjust some rotary Pots / Coils / Caps , or you fixed yours only by resoldering =?

Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.