Audio-Technica AT444

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Audio-Technica cart labeled AT 444 and can't seem to find any info on it. Must have been discontinued for some time, it's not on the discontinued page at Audio-Technica.

It's currently mounted on my P2 and the only cart I have so theres nothing to compare it to. I don't want to spend $150 (all I can afford now) on a new cart to find out it dosen't sound any better than what I have. How big of a differance can a cart make?

Does anyone know anything about this cartridge?

Rnickl said:
How big of a differance can a cart make?

Does anyone know anything about this cartridge?

The cartridge can make a huge difference - usually, the more you pay, the better they sound! They usually have much better styli, which besides sounding better, last longer, and wear your records less. Ortofon, Denon, Shure and Stanton (amongst others), all make excellent hi-fi cartridges

Sorry, I've had a look at all my old copies of 'Stereo Buyers Guide', and they don't show that cartridge in the list of cartridges available in the late 1970s to the mid 1980s. I'd replace it if I was you. While the current reviews of cartridges are fairly superficial (i.e highly subjective, with few objective measurements!), they may give you some idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.