Record cleaning (sort of)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been searching for a source of submersible ultrasonic transducers of the sort often used in ultrasonic cleaning baths.

I really need a record cleaner, but don't really want another box the size of my LP12 sitting around the house.

I have one of these (https://www.audiophilecandy.com/prodet.asp?pcode=CL-KNO-DISCO&0=More+Info) and it works surprisingly well, but the first play, post cleaning, tends to leave a fair bit of gunk around the stylus, I'd like to augment it's performance by using ultrasonics, which I feel could work well.

Anyone have any ideas, or tried something similar, any sources for suitable transducers would be welcomed.

Andy.

All,

stay away from ultrasonic record cleaning.
This can chisel pressing bubbles open and then you let your cartridge stylus find those cavities and you find out the hard way if the cavity or the stylus wins.

The best way to clean records is brushing them with tiny short stiff bristles along the groove direction while the grooves are drowned cleansing solvent. Been there, done that. I built a record cleaning machine based on that. Cleaning result as good as an ultrasonic cleaner.

Maybe you search this board for record cleaning posts from me, if questions remain open, i am happy to answer them.

dice45 said:
All,

stay away from ultrasonic record cleaning.
This can chisel pressing bubbles open and then you let your cartridge stylus find those cavities and you find out the hard way if the cavity or the stylus wins.

The best way to clean records is brushing them with tiny short stiff bristles along the groove direction while the grooves are drowned cleansing solvent. Been there, done that. I built a record cleaning machine based on that. Cleaning result as good as an ultrasonic cleaner.

Maybe you search this board for record cleaning posts from me, if questions remain open, i am happy to answer them.
Thanks for the warning dice45.
You might have saved some sound-info on my golden oldies!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CLEANING RECORDS.

Hi,

For info:

Here a link worth going through:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6595

The cleaning fluid of the "Antistat" leaves some traces and spots if you leave them in the drying rack to dry.
Also it has an effect on the sound that tends to render them a tad less transparent.

I obtained the best results with "Bretts formula" which I still use with a Nitty Gritty machine.

BTW:This "Antistat" is still around under different brandnames and for those with a reasonably sized record collection not wanting to spend big bucks I can heartily recommend it.
Try to work in a well aired room while cleaning your records batchstyle.

Ciao,;)

Bernhard

Thank you for your comprehensive advice, and for potentially saving some of my precious vinyl from destruction.

I think I now need to apply my thoughts to a vertical record cleaner, since that will take up less space - I don't have room for another record deck sized unit.

Maybe a standalone vacuum unit, to dry the records after cleaning with the Disco Antistat, which works well, apart from the minor residue issues.

Will keep you all posted - again any ideas or links will be welcomed.

Andy.

When the LP's are clean (never been dirty), use (or try to get) the original DECCA carbon fibre brush. The later DECCA brushes had less (?) fibres, much less in fact. This old brush (cleaned in pure "bensin", petrol once a year) is fantastic in cleaning and also in discharging the vinyl. I will take a photo of this brush when I'll have my digital camera back. My boss nicked it for his business trip... :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.