The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Little progress about XLR connector PSU ,new cables at my Thorens TD280 Turntable ...No noise at all..im waiting for the box of PSU.

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 361
  • thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 351
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 135
i have buy several year ago the phonoclone.
The R1 mounted is 47Ohm and R2 is 1k; are these specifications that you have recommended for Denon DL103 still valid?
I have also Audio Technica AT F7, i do I have to adjust the values of R1 and R2?
This are the specification the Audio Technica:

Type: Moving coil (MC)
Frequency response: 15 to 50,000 Hz
Output voltage: 0.35 mV (1 kHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel separation: 27 dB (1 kHz)
Channel balance: 1.5 dB (1 kHz)
Tracking force: 1.8 to 2.2 g (standard: 2.0 g)
Coil impedance: 12 O (1 kHz)
DC resistance: 12 O
Recommended load impedance: Min. 100O (when head amplifier is connected)
Coil inductance: 25 µH (1 kHz)
Static compliance: 35 x 10 - 6 cm/dyne
Dynamic compliance: 9 x 10 - 6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
Stylus: Nude elliptical stylus 0.2 x 1.7 mil
Suspension wires: Stainless
Vertical tracking angle: 23 degrees
Dimensions: 17.3 (H) x 16.8 (W) x 25.4 (L) mm
Weight: 5.0 g

Many Thanks and happy new year.

Mario.

Phonoclone 4.6g

Cosmetic changes only, to bring the board to the same revision iteration as the Emerald.

Attachments

• DSC_2027_01.jpg
    DSC_2027_01.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_2029_01.jpg
    DSC_2029_01.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 152
  • pcb-phonoclone-46g-bom.zip
    810.3 KB · Views: 44
  • phonoclone-46g.png
    phonoclone-46g.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 132
  • pcb-phonoclone-46g-brd.jpg
    pcb-phonoclone-46g-brd.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 142
  • pcb-phonoclone-46g-sch.jpg
    pcb-phonoclone-46g-sch.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 140
The idea has come up a few times.

Not needing one myself, it's never been given a priority. The problem from my end is conceptual: I have an MC stage. It's 80% of the work and expense of an MC phono stage to make a step up head amplifier. So personally I'd have to switch the gain of my Emerald back to MM to be able to add another box an power supply to get that gain back.

The other one is practical: if I used an op amp, I'd be literally just taking the front stage of the Emerald and replacing it with the same thing externally. If I used discrete transistors the task of making a low noise circuit competitive with the best commercial op amp ICs would be monumental, once both output noise and PSRR is considered.

On the other hand I might be willing to do the board layout and BOM, if you can suggest an interesting circuit schematic.

Thank you, I'll think about possibilities. I've considered building the Le Pacific jfet front end for MC but I don't know enough to know what a good low noise circuit would be. My interest has to do with already having a number of good MM preamps, both tube and solid state, and only 1 MC cartridge. I'm currently using a step up transformer but feel like I'm getting some upper end rolloff and I'd love to play around with something that might not suffer that problem and let me try it out with my existing phono stages.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Any single transistor gain stage (jFET or bipolar) will get you the gain and give quite low intrinsic noise, the problem is the PSRR of these circuits is beyond terrible so you have to spend all your effort to build a really low noise power supply, or go with batteries. And by "low noise power supply" it's not just line regulation you have to worry about, but the output noise of the voltage regulator itself.

Yeah, I understand. That's partly why I say I don't know any good circuits (noise is noise at the output, whether it's PSR or circuit noise). And it makes sense this would have no PSRR. At such low currents and voltages, batteries aren't out of the question. After all, it's just the tiny step up circuit we're talking about. Anyway, I'll be in touch if I find something I think is worth your time. Thanks for the input and the offer!

hi all,
just order my Emerald boards and I have build my mouserUK cart :) :) happy days!

Can you please give me some good recommendations for (UK or EU if possible please!):
a) box for PSU and box for the preamp (black hammond or something?) So many codes and Im not sure what to look for.
b) power cable between PSU and pre. I see some cool looking with outer sleeves but I dont now how they technically called :S
c) power socket with switch
d) RCA? thats easy but I see some nice ones in here well secured etc.
e) Fuse?/Fuse holder? I never did electronics with fuses. only low power things.
f) most use XLR plugs for power? are these normal XLR?

If you have codes from your orders that would be helpful... I have done mistakes in the past with orders from RS-comps heheh (a bit dyslectic :p )

Thanks

EDIT: Ill be using the preamp with: VM540ML - Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Microlinear stylus | Audio-Technica

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The choices depend so much on taste, budget, preference, and locale ... I generally don't make suggestions. Mainly though because I don't want to take responsibility. "Oh the case is too small" "Oh these are poor value" etc etc. Below is a rough guide:

a) box for PSU and box for the preamp (black hammond or something?) So many codes and Im not sure what to look for.

Hammond 1590F will see you good for the preamp and power supply if you want to have the power supply separate. You can maybe go smaller but ...

b) power cable between PSU and pre. I see some cool looking with outer sleeves but I dont now how they technically called :S

Just cannibalize a power cord and use that. The fancy sleeve is just that ... you buy it separately and thread the wire through it.

c) power socket with switch

Anything, but the ones with the fuse holder included are convenient. That's if you don't mind the switch in the back. Else, some sort of toggle switch front mounted, standard IEC power socket + fuse in back.

d) RCA? thats easy but I see some nice ones in here well secured etc.

I'm not touching that. :) You tend to get what you pay for though.

e) Fuse?/Fuse holder? I never did electronics with fuses. only low power things.

See above, get the power socket fuse holder assembly.

f) most use XLR plugs for power? are these normal XLR?

Neutrik, or ITT Cannon, or whatever. 3 pin. Yes, the choices here are a bit dizzying, but on the upside it doesn't really matter.