The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Even with a photo, "noticeable hiss/high pitched whine" isn't enough information to be able to make a diagnosis.

We know it's independent of the TT connection and ground connection, we know that the build is clean and appears correct, we know, from WntrMute2 and others, that the VSPS runs reasonably quietly even when placed in close proximity to the power supply.

Best option, if you are up for it:

Record the VSPS output noise with a soundcard (or digital recorder, anything with a line in jack - a cheapo USB audio adapter and a smartphone if need be), upload the wav file and let me access it or ... analyze it yourself, just run it through RMAA or Audacity. That, together with the DC voltage measurements at the V++/-- and V+/-, should give us a good idea of the problem we are dealing with.

Why didn't I think of that earlier? I do have a few external interfaces and the like. I'll check back with you when I've replaced the caps/IC (maybe the IC got fried earlier when I had a short).

Also, I ran the preamp with the transformer outside the case - this didn't seem to make a difference.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I keep an archive of all the old stuff, but try to keep what's online limited to the latest versions.

R19,20 are 68k or 75k or whatever you have in that ballpark.

Note I don't recommend the X-reg based circuits for new projects. The VSPS with the S-reg is the 400m (I can give you Gerbers if you want to get yourself a set of boards) or simply go with the Emerald.

Attachments

• pcb-vsps300m1-sch.png
    pcb-vsps300m1-sch.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 382
  • pcb-vsps300m1-brd.png
    pcb-vsps300m1-brd.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
VSPS + S-Reg sonics review

.............. This prototype is available by the way. I just built it to check it all works. As a 40 dB MM phono stage I have no use for it since I only have the DL103 cart at home. Price is $40, inc. shipping, but the buyer is expected to test and report back on the sonics, preferably someone who already has a VSPS or Emerald.

I have built several VSPS's and VSPS+S-reg on separate boards in the past. I have now completed a build with an eval single board VSPS+S-Reg and, after extensive listening and comparing, have come to the following conclusions.

1. The sound quality gain in replacing the original simple voltage regulator PS with the S-reg (on a separate board) is substantial. The highs are smoother, less grainy, and the sound stage is larger with a tad more bass.

2. On going to the single board version there is a further, albeit smaller, improvement in sound quality. I would say more focus and precision in the sound stage - which translates to a more relaxed and pleasant musical listening experience.

As an aside... on the photo you can see that I have replaced the 2x 1000uF smoothing capacitors with 2x 6000 uF built with 2 banks of paralled 6x 1000 uF on a seperate uitrigger board. This gives IMO yet a further improvement in sound quality -the lower frequencies being significantly fuller without loosing the speed, punch and rythmic qualities of the VSPS that I like so much.

In conclusion, the VSPS + S-reg combined on a single board, represents, IMO a worthwhile and elegant upgrade on the original design.

Dutch Keith

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 387
Here we are.....
Thank you Richard !!! for your project and your assistance..
I m not finised yet (box of PSU) but sounds exellent !!!
The very very very small noise with volume at the end it comes from my Thorens TD280..
Untitled on Vimeo
i will try with this cable to eliminate this litle noise...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 417
  • RIMG3502.jpg
    RIMG3502.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 431
  • thumbnail111.jpg
    thumbnail111.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 411
  • thumbnail112.jpg
    thumbnail112.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Hi Jose! from your post i saw this cable i forget to mention this ,i will use the same cable like yours, mine cable is double shielded....
The third pic shows the end of the cables of the TT Thorens TD 280
the first mp4 2(1) record the litle noise from tweeter mid woofer
And the second 2(2) mp4 record NO noise at all from tweeter mid woofer without connect the TT on Phone stage
the volume it is at the end (Buffer 6V6 Salas) and my amps Mimesis clone 9.2 (220W-250W) per channel

Attachments

• 2 (1).mp4
    261.8 KB
  • 2 (2).mp4
    316.2 KB
  • IMG_20181118_133909.jpg
    IMG_20181118_133909.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_20181118_133742.jpg
    IMG_20181118_133742.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20181118_130332.jpg
    IMG_20181118_130332.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20181118_125020.jpg
    IMG_20181118_125020.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20181118_124856.jpg
    IMG_20181118_124856.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice custom job. Such high Zo version done in low biased BJTs to stay cool sans sinking can even help towards taking out the edge of some anxious recordings especially when using op-amps. Did you also try with better noise & linearity types than BD139/BD140 in the S-Reg? Like the Fairchild's 2SA1381/KSA1381 pin compatible TO-126s based on Japanese SANYO low Rbb' and speedy original types from the high definition CRT monitors era.

Nice custom job. Such high Zo version done in low biased BJTs to stay cool sans sinking can even help towards taking out the edge of some anxious recordings especially when using op-amps. Did you also try with better noise & linearity types than BD139/BD140 in the S-Reg? Like the Fairchild's 2SA1381/KSA1381 pin compatible TO-126s based on Japanese SANYO low Rbb' and speedy original types from the high definition CRT monitors era.

I spent some time on optimization, but I didn't try transistors except for BD135/6 and BC327/337. I removed a couple of capacitors and verified that the emitter resistors on the shunt transistors were in fact needed ... that's about it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You found oscillations on the scope if without those Re or you just subjectively preferred to have them there for enhancing smoothness like I mentioned? IMHO do try the KSA types also when having an opportunity, provided they will function properly in open loop analysis which I would rather expect, they could even add some extra sound quality or not. The BDs may well have some characteristic you find synergistic to the rest of the circuit though. While the Philips originals used to be faster with less Cob than in current production multi brand copies, their base spreading resistance and 1/F noise were always much as in those newer. Technically the KSAs are surely better process type parts at least.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I looked it up for a service manual after the photo you posted where I saw a large electronics board inside its plinth. It has motor phases sine wave circuitry indeed shows the manual as I wondered if it may. Nowadays such circuitry is usually sold as external control unit for expensive models. It has a light plinth and platter on the other hand but again it was a budget TT in its day. Seems like a good find in very good condition. Well done.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW its arm looks slender, possibly good for a Denon DL-110. Richard's phono should happily highlight a resolution upgrade from the budget Shure MM it came with. It sounded warm already in your video clip though, at least not a tonally wrong cart that Shure.

Hi Gents,

Need help - just finished my VSPS build and it works but i have this wierd buzz in my speakers:

YouTube

It gets quiter when i touch the preamp enclosure with my hand.

Below couple of pics of the build ( in pictures the GND is not connected to the enclosure - now it is )

how to start trouble shooting?

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 451
  • phonostage.jpg
    phonostage.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 459
  • psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 462

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a typical symptom of an improperly connected ground. Either something is connected to earth that shouldn't be, or something isn't connected to earth that should be.

One thing to be careful with is those black anodized chassis. The individual panels are often not in electrical contact with each other, so your box is not, electrically speaking, a metal box. You have to file off the coating at the parts that touch each other to ensure electrical contact.

The main VSPS looks to be connected properly, with GND to the lug on the case that connects to the TT.

The power supply unit has a screw near the power socket that you are supposed to connect the AC earth to. As I see it the AC earth only connects to the transformer screen currently.

The system will hum if the TT ground is not connected to the VSPS ground lug.