The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

chrismercurio said:
I haven't read the whole thread. Has anyone powered this with a battery?

Yes, I have seen several people do it with a battery. However, from what I have read, best results come from higher voltages and also form the toroidal transformer.. Less magnetic interference if I remember from physics.

juluska said:
Kevlogg, this toroidal is enough. 5VA is enough, but the bigger you can use will be better. I've used a 50VA. If you are going to do more projects you can use a bigger toroidal to probe another amplifier pcbs.
A very low noise is always present from the toroidal, if you can chose an en capsulated toroidal.
Think in doing it point to point in a protoboard, is more flexible and funny.
Probe with double bridge fast rectifiers and also with schottky discrete double rectifiers. I've probe this and the sound diferent.

cool, thanks for the reply. I will check out those rectifiers. I will also look into a buffer power supply. What I meant to ask is this.... is there a formula I need to know to to equate (match) the rectifier to the transformer. or will any combination work> I am not familiar with (Va- this must be some kind of power measurement?) and rectifier properties.

( I do have a basic understanding of how it manipulates the power supply from AC to a "rippled DC")

I contacted my professor, and he is willing to work out this first project with me, he remembered his first job working as an audio repair technician
at this point, I can't wait to start!
:D :D

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevlogg said:

Its not too surprising to see come around for the third or fourth time. At over 1000 replies, I don't get mad at people anymore for not reading the whole thread...

Don't use a battery. Use the biggest, best transformer you can afford.

Realistically, though, a 25VA or 35VA toroid with 2x12VAC will do the trick nicely. That one on ebay, or something similar from Digikey or wherever. It should be about $20, less if surplus.

Diodes: use a bridge rectifer, or two, bigger current is better, but anything above 1A and 100V is fine.

And don't forget the fuse.

12 VAC secondaries gets you about 17 V DC, 16 V if you use a bridge rectifier on both windings.

The simplest (VAC x 1.41) formula works quite well here, because the diode drop and ripple is compensated by the load regulation of the transformer. i.e. you lose about a volt to the diodes, but gain about a volt because the transformer is only lightly loaded.

/R

thanks AHAJA

ahaja said:
Hola.
These tricks much improve the sound.
VSPS and also Phonoclone.

ahaja said:

Following your advices i changed the rectifier bridge for two schokky diodes rectifiers with parallel capacitors and added one 47uf and 100nf caps next to the opamp +v and -v. I am impressed how well it sounds now. Now i'm going to change the riaa network with your modifications. Can you explain with plain words hows this modifications can improve the sound?

Attachments

• rjm.jpg
    rjm.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 719
ahaja said:
:) I know that it works.

Thorsten wrote about it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=388315#post388315

Curently I'm working on these projects (pcb) on our polish audio forum, and it looks: http://www.audiostereo.pl/forum_wpisy.html?temat=48037&p=1#k
Two layer pcb.

Another mod is place on the top of opamp beetwen power legs cap 220-470nF. Wima MKS4 (raster/pcm=10mm).

Regards Krzysztof

Excuse my little knowledge in electronics. I guess the modified schedule for beginners is this:

Am I right?

Attachments

• vsps mods.jpg
    vsps mods.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 676
ahaja said:
Hello
Rather you're wrong.
I think you should do that way (if you made your pcb and connections based on layout from Richard's site !).
K

DONE
At first glance very good results, more detailed LF.
My reference lps:

Something Else, Cannonbale Adderley
Tom Waits, Asylum days
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong compilation
Dire Straits, Love over Gold

Thank you very much Ahaja, BRAVO!!!!!!

Attachments

• img_2193.jpg
    img_2193.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 471