Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2019, 04:10 AM   #4081
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Any single transistor gain stage (jFET or bipolar) will get you the gain and give quite low intrinsic noise, the problem is the PSRR of these circuits is beyond terrible so you have to spend all your effort to build a really low noise power supply, or go with batteries. And by "low noise power supply" it's not just line regulation you have to worry about, but the output noise of the voltage regulator itself.
Old 14th January 2019, 06:10 AM   #4082
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I understand. That's partly why I say I don't know any good circuits (noise is noise at the output, whether it's PSR or circuit noise). And it makes sense this would have no PSRR. At such low currents and voltages, batteries aren't out of the question. After all, it's just the tiny step up circuit we're talking about. Anyway, I'll be in touch if I find something I think is worth your time. Thanks for the input and the offer!
Old 14th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #4083
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Sure thing.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:50 PM   #4084
daemonsgr is online now daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi all,
just order my Emerald boards and I have build my mouserUK cart happy days!

Can you please give me some good recommendations for (UK or EU if possible please!):
a) box for PSU and box for the preamp (black hammond or something?) So many codes and Im not sure what to look for.
b) power cable between PSU and pre. I see some cool looking with outer sleeves but I dont now how they technically called :S
c) power socket with switch
d) RCA? thats easy but I see some nice ones in here well secured etc.
e) Fuse?/Fuse holder? I never did electronics with fuses. only low power things.
f) most use XLR plugs for power? are these normal XLR?

If you have codes from your orders that would be helpful... I have done mistakes in the past with orders from RS-comps heheh (a bit dyslectic :P )

Thanks

EDIT: Ill be using the preamp with: VM540ML - Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Microlinear stylus | Audio-Technica

Last edited by daemonsgr; 8th February 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:16 PM   #4085
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

The choices depend so much on taste, budget, preference, and locale ... I generally don't make suggestions. Mainly though because I don't want to take responsibility. "Oh the case is too small" "Oh these are poor value" etc etc. Below is a rough guide:

a) box for PSU and box for the preamp (black hammond or something?) So many codes and Im not sure what to look for.

Hammond 1590F will see you good for the preamp and power supply if you want to have the power supply separate. You can maybe go smaller but ...

b) power cable between PSU and pre. I see some cool looking with outer sleeves but I dont now how they technically called :S

Just cannibalize a power cord and use that. The fancy sleeve is just that ... you buy it separately and thread the wire through it.

Anything, but the ones with the fuse holder included are convenient. That's if you don't mind the switch in the back. Else, some sort of toggle switch front mounted, standard IEC power socket + fuse in back.

I'm not touching that. You tend to get what you pay for though.

e) Fuse?/Fuse holder? I never did electronics with fuses. only low power things.

See above, get the power socket fuse holder assembly.

Neutrik, or ITT Cannon, or whatever. 3 pin. Yes, the choices here are a bit dizzying, but on the upside it doesn't really matter.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:30 PM   #4086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
The choices depend so much on taste, budget, preference, and locale ... I generally don't make suggestions. Mainly though because I don't want to take responsibility. "Oh the case is too small" "Oh these are poor value" etc etc. Below is a rough guide:

Hammond 1590F will see you good for the preamp and power supply if you want to have the power supply separate. You can maybe go smaller but ...

Just cannibalize a power cord and use that. The fancy sleeve is just that ... you buy it separately and thread the wire through it.

Anything, but the ones with the fuse holder included are convenient. That's if you don't mind the switch in the back. Else, some sort of toggle switch front mounted, standard IEC power socket + fuse in back.

I'm not touching that. You tend to get what you pay for though.

See above, get the power socket fuse holder assembly.

Neutrik, or ITT Cannon, or whatever. 3 pin. Yes, the choices here are a bit dizzying, but on the upside it doesn't really matter.
Thanks for the comments!
1) I want to build the PSU on its own box. Should the power switch be only on the 240V side? or another one on the preamp side?

2) I had a bit a silly idea (as the black pcb etc looks cool). Will an open air setup work? Like a metal plate with the pcb and the RCA/XLR looking up? like a "open casket tube amp".
With some cool wire colouring etc it can be quite cool.
Is it better if the pre-amp is completely enclosed with metal? or open is ok? (RFI etc)
Old 10th February 2019, 09:31 AM   #4087
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

1) Just switch the AC (240 VAC line), not the DC output.

2) Keep the circuit boards surrounded by a full conductive metal enclosure, connected to the GND pad of the boards. The low input voltages require good shielding for best noise performance.
Old 10th February 2019, 09:42 AM   #4088
nikosokey is offline nikosokey  Greece
diyAudio Member

I have finished my own You can take some ideas if you want complete silent.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (82.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (74.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (70.8 KB, 103 views)
Titan 2000 ,Cressendo Millenium 2000, P3A ,VSSA ΤΟ3 ,B1 Buffer ,Golmund Mimesis 9.2 Clone ,Preamplifier Dispre 2 - JFET, DCB1 SALAS, D-Reflector, BibFet, Buffalo II,ES9018K2M, Arduino LDR Volume, AK4490 Discrete Mirand Audio,SSHV2, 6V6 Salas Preamp.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:37 AM   #4089
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosokey View Post
I have finished my own You can take some ideas if you want complete silent.....
Thanks Richard, I have placed my main mouser order and now Im looking for some leftover caps for the audio path. (mouser did have the Muse in stock too).

Gia Niko,
Yes, following Richard's post above, I think Ill do something like your. Looks cool.
I might play with some lazercut clear plexi for the top and paint it black as the greek misses are notorious for they sensitive WAF rating

Thanks all! Ill come back with some questions on the alternative caps when I get a better understanding of the schematic. (hificollective uk seems to have a lot!)
Old 10th February 2019, 04:00 PM   #4090
mimikos is offline mimikos
diyAudio Member

the joy of DIY is that everything can be customized according to your needs and imagination..

here's my view on a "Emerald" based phono stage I put together a few months ago..

custom made pcb for the rectification and the aux power supply, delay relay to get rid of the popping noise as a result of capacitors charging/ discharging during on/off operation, cartridge loading and gain selectors at the front panel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post
Thanks Richard, I have placed my main mouser order and now Im looking for some leftover caps for the audio path. (mouser did have the Muse in stock too).

Gia Niko,
Yes, following Richard's post above, I think Ill do something like your. Looks cool.
I might play with some lazercut clear plexi for the top and paint it black as the greek misses are notorious for they sensitive WAF rating

Thanks all! Ill come back with some questions on the alternative caps when I get a better understanding of the schematic. (hificollective uk seems to have a lot!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0149.jpg (570.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0150.jpg (572.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0151.jpg (590.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0152.jpg (375.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0153.jpg (370.0 KB, 47 views)

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help DeskHide this!Advertise here!