Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 03:22 PM   #4061
nikosokey is online now nikosokey  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Is that big green board inside the plinth for auto stop, also providing sine wave stabilization for the motor's two phases and speeds?
Υes my friend Nick based on the service manual you gave me shows it to be a relatively good TT based on his years, of course the money I gave to acquire it, is in very good visual condition but also mechanical.
Titan 2000 ,Cressendo Millenium 2000, P3A ,VSSA ΤΟ3 ,B1 Buffer ,Golmund Mimesis 9.2 Clone ,Preamplifier Dispre 2 - JFET, DCB1 SALAS, D-Reflector, BibFet, Buffalo II,ES9018K2M, Arduino LDR Volume, AK4490 Discrete Mirand Audio,SSHV2, 6V6 Salas Preamp.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:57 PM   #4062
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I looked it up for a service manual after the photo you posted where I saw a large electronics board inside its plinth. It has motor phases sine wave circuitry indeed shows the manual as I wondered if it may. Nowadays such circuitry is usually sold as external control unit for expensive models. It has a light plinth and platter on the other hand but again it was a budget TT in its day. Seems like a good find in very good condition. Well done.
Old 21st November 2018, 05:06 PM   #4063
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

BTW its arm looks slender, possibly good for a Denon DL-110. Richard's phono should happily highlight a resolution upgrade from the budget Shure MM it came with. It sounded warm already in your video clip though, at least not a tonally wrong cart that Shure.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:06 PM   #4064
bolec666 is offline bolec666  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi Gents,

Need help - just finished my VSPS build and it works but i have this wierd buzz in my speakers:

YouTube

It gets quiter when i touch the preamp enclosure with my hand.

Below couple of pics of the build ( in pictures the GND is not connected to the enclosure - now it is )

how to start trouble shooting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished.jpg (70.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg phonostage.jpg (149.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg psu.jpg (141.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 06:27 AM   #4065
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

That's a typical symptom of an improperly connected ground. Either something is connected to earth that shouldn't be, or something isn't connected to earth that should be.

One thing to be careful with is those black anodized chassis. The individual panels are often not in electrical contact with each other, so your box is not, electrically speaking, a metal box. You have to file off the coating at the parts that touch each other to ensure electrical contact.

The main VSPS looks to be connected properly, with GND to the lug on the case that connects to the TT.

The power supply unit has a screw near the power socket that you are supposed to connect the AC earth to. As I see it the AC earth only connects to the transformer screen currently.

The system will hum if the TT ground is not connected to the VSPS ground lug.
Old 4th December 2018, 06:15 PM   #4066
bolec666 is offline bolec666  Poland
diyAudio Member

Thank you Richard,

I added the missing ground point in PSU and did some sanding for both chassis units. now it works like a charm. Dead silent and I'm also super stoked with sound quality - finaly a phonostage that pumps some base to my speakers.

Thank you again!
Old 5th December 2018, 04:12 PM   #4067
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

I love it when a plan comes together! - J. "Hannibal". Smith.

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help DeskHide this!Advertise here!