Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Goldring Lenco
Goldring Lenco
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
alexandros1970 is offline alexandros1970  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Goldring Lenco

I have a Goldring Lenco L75, diy-mounted on an SME plinth and I use the Lenco's arm for 78s with a Shure N78s and an SME arm with a V15III and a microridge stylus for LPs. It sounds really good, I have to tell you-the bass is really impressive compared to my Technics DD Quartz! (By the way, if you place the new arm at the far left corner and calculate the position with the protractor, you find that it is outside the turntable area, so you get an easy job mounting it on the plinth's wood, rather than drilling through thick steel).
Anyway, lately the turntable could not reach 78 rpm, and was suffering from rumble, so I replaced the idler wheel and the spring with new parts from Technical and General. The two problems were solved, but a new one appeared: the tuntable takes a rediculously long time to reach 33 rpm - something like 60 seconds! It sounds great but it's very boring to have to wait for so long....Any ideas?
Old 13th March 2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Goldring Lenco
greasy idler and motor spindle?

platter bearing needs oil

motor bearings too?

just few thoughts........
Old 14th March 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Aquarium is offline Aquarium  Australia
diyAudio Member

You have to make sure the underside of the platter and the Idler wheel itself are absolutely clean.I think they recommend white spirits with benzine for the the platter and mild soap and water for the idler wheel and then rinsing it off is best.Make sure the idler wheel is running freely but is not loose by carefully adjusting the clip and make sure it has a drop or two of oil for lubrication.Of course the motor spindle should be clean as well and running freely.If not you can carefully take the motor apart and regrease it making sure all moving parts are replaced in the same way.The platter bearing has to have a 5mm bearing check to see it is still there,regrease it also.
Old 15th March 2005, 06:39 AM   #4
alexandros1970 is offline alexandros1970  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help,

I had done everything else already apart from cleaning the idler wheel with soap and water.
I've done it now and it has made a lot of difference!

Goldring LencoHide this!Advertise here!