MG-1 AIR BEARING Tangential Arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

definitely looks like an AirTangent.
agreed, for that price even i could not offer it ... and i have very good access to cost-effective high-quality manufacturing.

So the question arises, how long is this guy going to survive (unless this tonearm and its price is personal hobby of the manufacturer/seller). Better hurry and order one as long as you find a partner at the other end of the phone.

Then, i looked very closely to all his pixes and, judging by the fact that JPEG files on the web hardly ever show traces of milling, turning, filing, grinding and by the other fact i saw such traces on his pixes, i would expect the manufacturing quality to be extraordinarily crappy. Which is no wonder at this price.

And ... the digital read-out for VTA is a cheapo-cheapo digital sliding caliper cut to length by a hand saw. He is charging $89 for it, that is definitely overpriced as you can get such calipers for $20-30.

I know the AirTangent and its manufacturing quality: it's exquisite.

OTOH, beautiful surfaces don't necessarily yield to beautiful sonics. Maybe the thing sings :)

But, marketingwise i doubt the guy did himself a favour: people won't believe the sonic quality, he may sell to **some** cheapskates but the product does not radiate a luxury air. One cannot brag about it to audiophile friends, so i would expect most potential customers (weathy laymen) to consider it as a joke.
What a pity. :(

as a hobbyist I really don't give a hoot about marketing and looks, as long as the things works. So, the price is just fine - as long as it functions. A friend of mine in austria already has ordered on - so, as soon as he gets it - report here will follow.

I wanted to build mine from 3/4" copper waterpipe - easy to work when soldering the tube shut...;) and easy fro drilling holes - also no machining marks:cool:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

It sure is hard to beat for 300$ (time limited!) even if it does come without a pump.
It doesn't seem to need much airpressure to get it working but ultimately a good quiet high-pressure pump won't be a waste of money IMO.

And ... the digital read-out for VTA is a cheapo-cheapo digital sliding caliper cut to length by a hand saw. He is charging $89 for it, that is definitely overpriced as you can get such calipers for $20-30.

I agree but since it's just an option.......

If I didn't have my trusty ATs I might be tempted.:)

Cheers,;)

That arm really looks very promising. From the looks of it, I'd say that it is adapted to mass production. At first glance, I thought I saw sinkmarks on the headshell and arm-to-sleeve piece, which would indicate that these parts are injection molded. Or perhaps vacuum cast from a silicone mold. Really interesting, no reason why this arm (perhaps with a little tweaking) shouldn't perform well. Looks nicer than one of my contraptions would.
But boy, am I glad I am working with 3d CAD software instead of AutoC*D!!

Regards,

Jarno.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.