My DIY record cleaner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally got around to building this thing.

I bought the VPI 16 to 16.5 update kit, which consists of the suction tube assembly, and a dust cover.

I then went to Target and picked up a Furio file cabinate/coffee table.

original.jpg

The Pro-ject RM4 turntable will go on top, and then the middle shelf will be used for the record cleaner. The small shop vac will go in the drawer, so it will be hidden... that is the nice thing about this stand, is that all the junk can go in the drawer and be out of site.

Here you can see the vpi suction tube mount and the pioneer spindle and bearing assembly installed on the middle self.

original.jpg

large.jpg

Here is the suction assembly and turntable platter installed.

original.jpg

original.jpg

All I need to do now is connect the vacuum hose to the vpi suction assembly and it will be ready to use. For now I'm just going to turn the record by hand... later I may install a motor.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Matt

Terrific looking RCM! One of the VPI RCMs has a switch to reverse rotation of the platter, so you can clean records in both directions. If you do not mind turning the platter by hand, you can clean in both directions, too. I bought a used 16.5 with broken motor a few years ago. Turning the platter manually has never been a problem, and I like cleaning in both directions. The VPI motor turns the platter at 18 RPM, don't know if faster rotation will work or not.

Got the vacuum hooked up.

I found a small parts box and drilled a hole in it to fit the attachment pipe that came with the shop-vac. I cut it down to size, and glued it to the parts box with plastic plumber's cement. I then bolted the parts box to the underside.

original.jpg

original.jpg

The shop-vac was a bit too tall to fit in the drawer, standing up, so I made a little adjustment to the floor of the drawer. I basically removed the drawer, put it on the ground and just put my foot through it! It dislodged the front of the floor and pushed it down just enough! :smash: perfect fit.

I also found a perfect application brush. Got it at the 99cent store, and it is very soft and fine bristled. Perfect for this application! It is made for polishing leather shoes.

original.jpg

I cleaned 4 records tonight, and it works fantastic!!!

The record is very easy to turn, but I still want to install a motor drive... just have to find the right parts.

Matt

vpi parts

Is it possibile to get the suction head part from the vpi without buying the whole unit.
Us DIY's can easily make a platter and they are quite expensive to buy just to chop up.
in fact i have about 6 old turntables laying around i could canobolize. ( i cant stop buying them, just as long as they are slightly better than my current one, diy porject is on hold for info)
Thanks
Ed Owens

One last question

For those of us wo never used / seen one of these in person.

What peices are needed for the suction?
I am assuming the modification kit is it, tube / clamp. This would then need to be mounted into a suction box to hook the vaccume to.

Correct me if my operation of this is incorrect.
Apply fluid,
scrub (holding brush, and hand rotating/ motor on)
scrub, reverse if desired
apply suction head and remove old fluid and cleaner

If these are answered i will soon have a DIY record cleaning machine

Thank you
Ed Owens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.