An interesting paper - concept transferrable for photo preamps?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....A photo diode is going to be low current, so that got me thinking if the paper's approach would also be useable for moving coil amplification....

While the output is "low current" (compared to what??) an MC cart has more available current than a MM cart.

And most of that paper wrestles with the dominant and relatively heavy (re: data frequencies) capacitance of a photo diode. Which is again more typical of our MM interface than MC.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Look at mediatech’s design on this forum which uses opamps and low noise transistors - some circuits are in the last 10 or so pages of the MPP thread.
I have a set of those boards. Really should fire them up now the nights are drawing in.

Diff amps offer superb suppression of mains induced hum, but there is at best a 6 dB thermal noise penalty.

Personally I think the benefits outweight the losses*. There is of course the oddity of an inverting input INA where you don't have the 6dB noise penalty, but you open yourself up to a whole new world of problems.

*And at the end of the day, it's only a record so it's all just a bit of fun :)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree it’s 3 dB because the noise sources are uncorrelated and not 6 dB - my bad.

Thermal noise (aka Johnson or Johnson-Nyquist noise) is the same as En and In that you refer to and is proportional to absolute temperature, hence calling it ‘thermal noise’ which is used often in technical and academic papers on noise.

If you cooled the circuit to absolute zero there would be no noise.

Johnson& - Wikipedia

Last edited: