Audio Reviewers, Are They Serious?

Account Closed
Joined 2018
You say " All well and good for you. "

I'm glad you understood my irony / sense of humor !:D

On that mention of the broken Shure stylus....
I've pretty much be proactive and protective with my stereo.
Back when I had a lovely brand new Dual 1229 fitted with a Shure V15 Type2 Improved, I always dropped the stylus guard down after using the turntable. ;)

Yes, Shure's top-of-the-line models incorporated that handy needle guard, and the Type IV added a cleaning brush.
Regarding the sound, my preferences were for Stanton within the MM, I had in use the 681S and two 881S, the latter was clearly superior - for me - to the Shure Type III, especially in the low range. I can't comment on Type IV, I had already retired from the audio business when it went on sale, although it always continued to be my favorite hobby.
These are my two current turntables, I have built a selector box for them, used low capacitance teflon cable and gold plated RCA terminals.

(photos taken from the web)

Attachments

• a4f2aeb6-b588-4141-9660-1a5a815397b5.jpg
    a4f2aeb6-b588-4141-9660-1a5a815397b5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN1978.jpg
    DSCN1978.jpg
    966.6 KB · Views: 152
High end audio companies claiming to be using tubes because they sound superior have been known to just run the heaters and use a NE5534 to do the donkey work quietly tucked away in a corner under the PCB.

Just sayin'

Can you give precise examples?
Brand , model ?
It is known is a very ambiguous phrase, it does not mean anything in a serious debate ....

Just sayin' ....:violin:

Last edited:
The 18V DC supplied by the outboard supply is converted electronically to the higher DC voltage (at least 100V) required by the anodes of the ECC83s.

Commentators should not confuse the $400 Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 with some cheap Chinese preamp where the valves are there simply for show!
It would seem, academia50, that some commentators do not bother to follow the thread from its beginning. ;)

It would seem, academia50, that some commentators do not bother to follow the thread from its beginning. ;)

Galu, that is clear, it is easier to look for "hair to the egg" and join the devaluing general opinion.
Very unfortunate and common in forums, by the way.
Notice that I, and like you and so many others, let obvious things happen, to keep the thread alive, for example, a few days ago I read a comment about the benefits of a German TT brand that "totally decouples the automatic system when it plays vinyl "... in truth, all automatic or semi-automatic TTs do it, otherwise it would be impossible to reproduce vinyl! But in order not to undermine the appreciation that user feels for his revered turntable, I closed my mouth, as many would have to do on other occasions.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
It's common for posts to deviate from the subject in hand as we all just love to offer an opinion - sometimes helpful - sometimes not! :)

Several people on the street, or in a bar/pub, or a restauraant, having a conversation, perhaps starting on a particular subject.....
Is it not unusual that at times, the subject tends to wander to something maybe related, maybe not, perhaps something comes to one person's mind that makes them think about the different subject and express their thoughts?

It's called Human Nature.

Then, of course, you have those that become annoyed when this happens, and express their displeasure.
So they, like steering a car, attempt to take control to control the path of conversation.

It's called aggressive control.

I go back to the beginning of the thread.
I bought and am using the PJ S2 preamplifier prior to the review. It appears that the author of the article (and several other reviewers) have tested it in the Arctic, :D because he did not observe the following:
The housing gets too hot, which is because the tube filaments are underneath the top cap and there is only a small hot air leak in the valve holes.
A few small holes around the tubes would have prevented the internal components from overheating, so the recommended solution is to use it like this:

PS: You have to remove the tubes and cages, then the bottom screws and the carcass slides back, it is not a "cover".
WAF: - 1000000 :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_191203.jpg
    IMG_20211206_191203.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 300B-Single-Ended-Triode-front.jpg
    300B-Single-Ended-Triode-front.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 88
  • galeria26162-001.jpg
    galeria26162-001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I go back to the beginning of the thread.
I bought and am using the PJ S2 preamplifier prior to the review. It appears that the author of the article (and several other reviewers) have tested it in the Arctic, :D because he did not observe the following:
The housing gets too hot, which is because the tube filaments are underneath the top cap and there is only a small hot air leak in the valve holes.
A few small holes around the tubes would have prevented the internal components from overheating, so the recommended solution is to use it like this:

PS: You have to remove the tubes and cages, then the bottom screws and the carcass slides back, it is not a "cover".
WAF: - 1000000 :mad:

Poorly designed, as many things are today.
Designed around cosmetics, superficiality, impressive looks.....

Decades ago, this was not the case, things had impressive looks, but proper engineering behind it too.

The control panel of my 1963 RCA console stereo - beautiful classic design, 11 tubes under the panel, yet.... designed to float on rubber suspension 1/4 inch above the mounting panel with airflow in mind.

Attachments

• rca-panel2.JPG
    rca-panel2.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 73