Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Audio Reviewers, Are They Serious?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2021, 08:46 PM   #81
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post

..... money is not a problem for me....

You say " All well and good for you. "

I'm glad you understood my irony / sense of humor !
Old 13th October 2021, 11:48 PM   #82
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You say " All well and good for you. "

I'm glad you understood my irony / sense of humor !

On that mention of the broken Shure stylus....
I've pretty much be proactive and protective with my stereo.
Back when I had a lovely brand new Dual 1229 fitted with a Shure V15 Type2 Improved, I always dropped the stylus guard down after using the turntable.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:26 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Yes, Shure's top-of-the-line models incorporated that handy needle guard, and the Type IV added a cleaning brush.
Regarding the sound, my preferences were for Stanton within the MM, I had in use the 681S and two 881S, the latter was clearly superior - for me - to the Shure Type III, especially in the low range. I can't comment on Type IV, I had already retired from the audio business when it went on sale, although it always continued to be my favorite hobby.
These are my two current turntables, I have built a selector box for them, used low capacitance teflon cable and gold plated RCA terminals.

(photos taken from the web)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a4f2aeb6-b588-4141-9660-1a5a815397b5.jpg (43.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1978.jpg (966.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 15th October 2021, 06:39 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
High end audio companies claiming to be using tubes because they sound superior have been known to just run the heaters and use a NE5534 to do the donkey work quietly tucked away in a corner under the PCB.

Here I am talking about Project Tube Box S2, do you know ?

Last edited by academia50; 15th October 2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 15th October 2021, 06:43 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
High end audio companies claiming to be using tubes because they sound superior have been known to just run the heaters and use a NE5534 to do the donkey work quietly tucked away in a corner under the PCB.

Just sayin'

Can you give precise examples?
Brand , model ?
It is known is a very ambiguous phrase, it does not mean anything in a serious debate ....

Just sayin' ....

Last edited by academia50; 15th October 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 15th October 2021, 06:48 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

That you prefer SS does not disqualify the tubes. I can give you many examples that will pass the rag to many projects, brand or DIY .....

Last edited by academia50; 15th October 2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 15th October 2021, 06:52 PM   #87
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
The 18V DC supplied by the outboard supply is converted electronically to the higher DC voltage (at least 100V) required by the anodes of the ECC83s.

Commentators should not confuse the $400 Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 with some cheap Chinese preamp where the valves are there simply for show!
It would seem, academia50, that some commentators do not bother to follow the thread from its beginning.
Old 15th October 2021, 06:53 PM   #88
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Nice turntables, by the way!
Old 15th October 2021, 07:10 PM   #89
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That you prefer SS does not disqualify the tubes. I can give you many examples that will pass the rag to many projects, brand or DIY .....

I have absolutely nothing against tubes whatsoever. My skill set lies with SS and thatís why I donít design with them.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:35 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
It would seem, academia50, that some commentators do not bother to follow the thread from its beginning.
Galu, that is clear, it is easier to look for "hair to the egg" and join the devaluing general opinion.
Very unfortunate and common in forums, by the way.
Notice that I, and like you and so many others, let obvious things happen, to keep the thread alive, for example, a few days ago I read a comment about the benefits of a German TT brand that "totally decouples the automatic system when it plays vinyl "... in truth, all automatic or semi-automatic TTs do it, otherwise it would be impossible to reproduce vinyl! But in order not to undermine the appreciation that user feels for his revered turntable, I closed my mouth, as many would have to do on other occasions.

Audio Reviewers, Are They Serious?Hide this!Advertise here!