Audio Reviewers, Are They Serious?

Its not rocket science to realize many readers couldn't tell an allen key from a torx wrench and would have difficulty with this - its a sad fact a lot of people have never used even a screwdriver in anger.

I agree that it is not rocket science, what happens is that we are very
" manitas " - ( "handyman" )
around here. ;)
(as the Spanish call skilled people who do everything)
I expressed it from the point of view of those who read the stickers that say "Do not use this device in the rain" .....
I do not think it is "for idiots", it is necessary and avoids lawsuits for accidents ... :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ok, I was quick to ask, because the appliance is powered by an external AC / DC adapter, so there can be no AC inside it. Except for analog audio signals, of course.
For young people and newcomers, I think it is interesting to mention that this process you describe was done with a design called "multivibrator" in car valve radios, raising the battery voltage to that necessary to power the "plate" (here is he usually calls the anode that way) Nothing new under the sun, it's in the basic electronics books. Only now miniaturization makes incredible designs.
PS: I wouldn't call it DC to DC conversion, because it's still DC, I'd call it "DC boost", or something similar.;)

Wikiwand)

The correct term still is "DC to DC conversion" as that is what we agreed on :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They have been developed so that automated tools wear out and not the screws like with Philips, Pozidriv (although in lesser degree) and the worst: imbus.

In better english:

Torx - Wikipedia

Although skeptical when I ran into them the first time a long time ago I think Torx is a very good invention. The resistance I experienced went when I finally bought the complete set screwdrivers.

Last edited:
They have been developed so that automated tools wear out and not the screws like with Philips, Pozidriv (although in lesser degree) and the worst: imbus.

However, Torx are used almost exclusively in vehicle interiors. What would be the reason for not doing it for example in the engine parts?
I think you are too condescending to these criminals, at this moment my vehicle needs a change of the thrust bearing with only 80,000 km, if you saw the part, you would realize that it is "programmed obsolescence".
I have lowered the box-bridge of my vehicle many years ago, now I can no longer and will have to pay a significant amount of money, but I will not take the vehicle to the official agency.

(I hasten to answer without reading your attachment, it is because I am outraged !!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have confused Torx with Tri Point heads, sorry ..... :eek: :)

Either way, I hate them !

Attachments

• Destornillador-en-forma-de-Y-magn-tico-de-1-4-v-stago-hexagonal-de-tres-alas.jpg_q50.jpg
    Destornillador-en-forma-de-Y-magn-tico-de-1-4-v-stago-hexagonal-de-tres-alas.jpg_q50.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 256
Torx is still just a funny phenomenon. Not made to really improve on anything that came before it except for profit. New patents. Completely different design. Torx has no advantages over Robertson in terms of strength of the head; or torque (lol). The only advantage is the filling of the pockets of the patent holders.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Torx was developed to prevent cam-out of screws and of course to make money. They do what is promised in that aspect and better so than the Robertson screws (that indeed were very long not allowed to be produced by 3rd party manufacturers outside Canada => protectionism). In my practical experience with Torx I only manage to strip the heads of cheap Chinese stainless steel Torx screws. Pro guys working with electrical hand tools also swear by them.

Since Torx has become standard it makes no sense to be reluctant anymore, just buy a set of bits/screwdrivers and you're done. Washing machines, dishwashers, cars, electronics manufacturers selling their stuff in the EU... they nearly all have moved to Torx.

Anyone familiar with JIS screws? I think those are the most misunderstood of the lot :) After pozidriv that is. I can not count the times that even skilled technical people don't know that philips, pozidrive and JIS really are different from eachother. Maybe that is why Torx solved some issues.

Why pentalobe is invented is a big question mark either.

Attachments

• 101617-japanese-screwdrivers-JIS-vs-Phillips-633x490.jpg
    101617-japanese-screwdrivers-JIS-vs-Phillips-633x490.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
All very interesting.
But I wasted a lot of time and jittered my nerves until I realized that the screws on the armrest of my car were Pro'sKit, three prong, or whatever you want to call them.
One of the problems with Phillips classics is that people want to use just one screwdriver for all head sizes.
If you choose the appropriate one, and simultaneously press inwards and in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, you will hardly have problems.
I insist, planned obsolescence is accompanied by inventions that are far from helping users.
Among the many activities that I had, one of them was a position in a car dealership. (I had to claim from the factory all the work done during the vehicle warranty, so that the dealership can get its money back)
Chat with the mechanic who delivered the replaced part, find out why it failed, describe the failure on a form, look at the table provided by the factory for the times used to perform the work (already stipulated in hours or minutes, a scam), list the part code, etc. it was my everyday homework.
In ten years I had only one unaccepted "claim", because the spare part shipped (an ignition coil) was slightly beaten.
The mechanic could not find the right key in mm? No problem, his partner lent him the equivalent inch key "!
But you couldn't replace a suspension spring if you didn't have the Mac Pherson set containment cage!
The Japanese copied and ruined the German camera industry (Voitglander, Zeiss Ikon, etc) but I used a "rough and basic" (from the western point of view) Praktica ... it never failed and how easy to use!
To measure the luminosity I had a needle, then the LEDs came, what was the improvement?
NASA spacecraft descend on the ocean, those of the former USSR, from the beginning of the "space race" they did it on land ....... there is a small big difference .....
Technology and scientific knowledge must be used to make things simple and accessible, not to fatten pockets and complicate life for the inhabitants of our planet.
I don't apologize for OT, it's mine, haha.