Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

A very bad Sound-smith retipping experience
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2021, 02:34 PM   #11
hirscwi is offline hirscwi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Could you please list the info on the people that can do this type of repairs?
I have a few carts that need some work
I have used Soundsmith for 8 or 9 cartridges and have been extremely pleased with their workmanship.

I have also used the following guys and can recommend them completely:

Andy Kim - needleclinic@gmail.com
Joseph Long - cartridge-retipping@outlook.
Old 7th July 2021, 03:02 PM   #12
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Even though I do my own retipping, I would let SS do a rework of anything I have without
hesitation..
This has to be just a freak one off experience and should not cast a dark shadow over their whole operation which has helped countless audiophiles over the years save big money

Regards
David
Old 7th July 2021, 06:19 PM   #13
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

For comparison purposes, here are some photos of the cantilever area of a lightly used (but not abused) Concept MC.

ClearAudio Concept MC (Moving Coil) Cartridge, Light Use – SkyFi Audio
Old 8th July 2021, 07:53 AM   #14
DECKY999 is offline DECKY999  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
Why took 3 months to figure out channel imbalance? All you had to do was to plug each channel to the same channel of the phono stage and measure.

Why didn't you do that in the first place and that would have saved you 3 months of agony?
Easier said than done. I guess Covid affected everyone and I was not spared. At the time when I sent the cartridge for retipping Covid situation was only starting in the US and I was in California at the time. In late March I had to pack my bags in a hurry and go back home to Australia, where I did not have a permanent address for good 10 months. My stuff (turntable included) arrived in July but it was not until September that I could even test the cartridge. It was only in January 2021 that I manage to settle in and actually do some proper listening. I started checking my DIY Pearl 2 - suspecting obviously my error or some electrical fault. Had to get a good signal generator and a scope first, since I did not have them available. Then I went through all cables, and rebuild some of them, where I discovered any suspicions extra resistance. Finally, around April/May time, after admittedly, being too busy with life in general, decided to resolve the turntable conundrum. I got a test record and a Denon 103R spare cart and compared the output of the cartridges with the pre and without anything in the signal path. That is when the 6dB became obvious (see attached).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cartridge measure.pdf (240.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by DECKY999; 8th July 2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 8th July 2021, 02:46 PM   #15
super10018 is online now super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for your experience. They did re-tipping services for me three times. I was happy with the jobs they did. One of the cartridges had a sapphire cantilever. I broke it accidentally. Fortunately, I found the broken cantilever and bought it back with the cartridge to Sound Smith. Peter glued it back for me with no charge.

I was thinking to have them done another job since my DL-103r with re-tipped boron cantilever dropped. But after checking their website, they said all their employees were infected by Covid, I decided to hold it for now.
Old 9th July 2021, 07:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have no doubt they can do good work. But the main quality of a good human or business is to admit when they make a mistake. If they did only that and issue a refund and apology, I would be actually promoting them. Like this, I have nothing nice to say.
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I managed to get in touch with Peter (the owner) and he agreed to issue a full refund for the work done. A good outcome at the end.
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:12 AM   #18
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECKY999 View Post
I managed to get in touch with Peter (the owner) and he agreed to issue a full refund for the work done. A good outcome at the end.
Great to hear, D.

Andy
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:14 PM   #19
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Excellent news !
Old 22nd July 2021, 05:37 PM   #20
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you (in a way). I feel a lot more comfortable with Soundsmith seeing that they owned up and rectified the situation.

A very bad Sound-smith retipping experienceHide this!Advertise here!