Sony TTS 8000 (All in Discussion)

The Vintage Japanese Direct Drive Turntable Model 'Sony TTS 8000', has a popular following and there are many users of this Model in the present day.

Like all Vintage TT's they are generally being acquired with a unknown history and a unknown amount of usage.

I thought it would be worthwhile creating a New Thread where the TTS 8000 could be discussed and be used as a reference place for Recording known of wear and tear issues being encountered on the TTS 8000, along with Methods being used to overcome any of the issues when discovered.

Here is a "potted " history of the TTS-8000 -

Sony TTS-8000 on thevintageknob.org

While a few Sony loudspeakers got a good "write up " and I bought the successor to the SS range -the original 1984 Sony APM-22ES loudspeakers which got a "best buy " from reviewer Alvin Gold which were made in Germany later versions went downmarket due to cost of the tweeter which was rated "near electrostatic " replaced with a standard moving coil tweeter .

While Sony was never "top of the range " in audiophile eyes they also made some good amplifiers but in the world of radio receivers they were very good quality with quality parts .

As the link says not many were exported but the UK got some of those turntables , I do not know if many reached the USA , it will be interesting to see how many here own one of those turntables .

I see one UK advertisement has one for sale at------£3000, actually looks quite a nice deck.

The service manual is available on HiFi Engine.

Note: I am not a Engineer Trained in any Way, nor am I a Person who undertake modifications on a Turntables Mechanical Interfaces.
All my Inspections and Evidences Gathered are a result of Handling, Observing, Listening and finally assessing from comparisons made against other avialable TT's that have been exposed to similar inspection and practices.

The TTS 8000's that I am (hands on) familiar with have been inspected for visual quality and as my duration of ownership increased with the TT, other types of inspections were undertaken.

My very first owned TTS 8000 was an Pristine Example, supplied in all original Manufacturers Packaging, and could easily have been a New Old Stock Model.
I changed tack and decided I was not in need of such a Pristine Model, the decision was made to offer this Model to be Purchased.
It very speedily found a New Home with a New Owner.

I kept the Second Model I owned, that was carrying signs of usage, and subsequently purchased another Model to be used as a A/B Comparison as one Model was being worked on.

During Inspections of the Two retained TTS 8000's there has been discoveries made when checking out the Interfaces of the Platter, Spindle and Bearing Housing Materials, that had raised a concern about the accuracy of the Mechanical Interfaces.

The knock on effect of the discoveries, has been the Basis of Discussion on another Forum where other TTS 8000 owners have contributed with there own findings.

The Timeline for the information revealed will not be relayed here, only the recollections of the reports that were being made, will be presented.

It was made known that a Platter Spindle when checked for a tightness of fit within Bearing Housing, could on certain TT 8000's show a Spindle can move Sideways and if treated in caertain way could produce a audible noise as it tapped against the Bushes contained within the Bearing Housing.

A Selection of Follow up investigations by TTS 8000 owners, also revealed the internal of the Bearing Housing were showing no evidence of a functioning lubricant.
When I got to the level of Inspection my findings were of the same condition, the Platter Spindle when removed was Dry and a Probe with a Dry Toweling was used to check the Inner Shaft area of the Bearing Housing, and it was dry through the base.
From recollection there was a Yellow Dust collected on the Probes Towelling and this was suspected to be a dust from the Bushing used within the Housing.

Another Member of the Forum deconstructed the Bearing Housing and Thrust Pad Materials back to their basic items, with follow up attempts to produce new parts to be used in place of certain components.

This encouraged a furthering of my own deconstruction of the Bearing Housing Assembly.
After doing this, the ideas were being produced about alternative methods to overcome some of the construction methods I was observing and discussion went on with a Engineer Friend who is very adept with TT's.

From this point on a Method was evolving on how to produce parts that would supersede the parts that were no longer wished to be used on one of the TTS 8000's owned.

JP makes a good point , sintered bronze withstands high temperatures and its method of manufacture incorporates lubricant .

Yellow dust suggests more of an ordinary brass content bronze contains over 80 % copper which is reddish its used in aircraft systems and other high engineering standard companies .

A good test for spindle or bearing wear in a turntable is lowering the platter onto the bearing , there should be resistance due to air compression , in other words it descends slowly even slower if its a bearing that has oil for the thrust bearing.

My deck only requires oil for the thrust bearing not the bearing itself.

The Spindle being able to produce a audible noise when finger applied pressure is used to move the Spindle, is the most noticeable difference between my owned TTS 8000's and the other owned TT's I can compare them with.
It is this condition that has been the prompt to seek out a method to produce a interface where such a movement is removed.
One TTS 8000 has had a oil put into the Bearing Housing, this is viewed as a Temporary Measure.
The Oil in use has reduced the Audible Noise when finger pressure is applied and cushions the side ways movement as a resistance.

The other owned TTS 8000 is to have purpose produced Bushes Machined.

A TTS 8000 owned by another user, has had this same work undertaken and their reports of the audible impression that has been made from the initial experience of the New Bushes on their TTS 8000, that is now back in service has been a positive report on the perceived improvements to the Sound Quality.

The Dryness within the Bearing Housing has been reported as being witnessed by more than one person doing a inspection.

A very recent report from a TTS 8000 owner has made it known on their inspection, that was prompted by trying to discover the cause of a intermittent grating noise.
That there is a noticeable sideways movement when the Spindle has a finger pressure applied.
The internal of the Bearing Housing Inspection showed Dry Bushes, which was immediately suspected of being the cause of the intermittent grating noise.
A Grease Lubrication has been discovered within the Bearing Housing on the Thrust Pad.

In my mind this leads to the Question of what was the condition of a Bearing Housing when it was a a part on a New TTS 8000 Model, was it supplied with a Lubrication or with No Lubrication ?

The Bush is 11mm ID x 16mm OD, this is not a off the Shelf common part that can be found, I have yet to find a Sintered Bush of this dimension, so it a Bush is required to be replaced, it will potentially need to be produced.

Does a Sintered Bronze Bush release any impregnated lubricant at the Heat a Spindle can produce when within the Bush ?
I am OK about being corrected on this matter, but l was under the impression a High Heat was the working parameters for a Sintered Bronze Bush to work efficiently.

JP

Joined 2011
You can find bushes with the OD and can cut them down to the ID. As they are press fit you’d need to ream for final fit with them in the housing. Some care is needed to cut and not close the pores.

Of three examples one had signs of oil on the shaft, though minimal. The other two appeared dry though when I heated them they did sweat old oil. I recharged them in a vacuum chamber with ISO-68 and a couple other oils I don’t recall off the top of my head. None of these attempts solved the noise issue.

JP

Joined 2011
Oh and a looser tolerance doesn’t necessarily bother me if no other adverse or deficient conditions exist. If the bearing is stable and noise free during playback and lacks evidence of meaningful wear I wouldn’t summarily dismiss it. It’s not like tracking force will come anywhere near what I imagine is required to rock the platter.

My starting of this Thread was simply to record Information offered by all who have gathered a experience of the TTS 8000 and to bring together their reports on any findings that may have occurred when a Inspection is undertaken.

At present a common report is a Dry Inner Shaft on the Bearing housing.
To Date and after tracking information made known over the past few years on a few forums.
The Metal Sleeve Liner Bushes used to align the Platter Spindle have been found Dry, and recently reported in one case a residual of a Lubricant has been discovered.
In another very recent report through another forum, a Grease Residual was discovered at the Spindles Base.

In my mind, and using my experiences of the TTS 8000 that I own and other owned TT's.
When I learn of a Bearing Housing/Platter Spindle that appears that it would benefit from a Service.
I will not put any oil into the Shaft as quick fix and forget about the concern.

I am keen to learn of the condition within the Bearing Housing, if it has become dry ? if there are any signs of wear as a result of being dry ?
does the conditions met suggest a wear has taken place and contamination is possibly present within the Shaft.

In my case does a substance referred to as a Yellow Dust, having collected on the used Probes towelling/Wadding suggest the Bushes have degraded and lost matrial that is now a particulate ?

In another known condition met from a inspection of a removed Platter.
The Spindle has a Interference Fit Steel Ball pressed into the Spindle Base.
The Steel Ball in this case has shown a damaged surface and has a scribe line cut into it.

The Good News is that a Bushing and Interference fit Steel Ball are both Sacrificial Parts and the added Good News is that these parts take on signs wear before the Platter Spindle can be impacted with a deterioration that can be observed as a wear.

I am not alone in carrying out inspections, there are other TTS 8000 Owners who are carrying out their own inspections and seeking methods to satisfy themselves as a outcome of the conditions that have been encountered.

I am of the 'opinion' that if a TTS 8000 has been dismantled to the conditon where a Platter Spindle can be removed from the Bearing Housing, there are only a couple more procedure required until the Bearing Housing is Detached.
When detached the Bearing Housing can be flushed Clean.

There are two ways this can be achieved.
One Method is to keep the Sleeve Liners located within the Bearing Housing Shaft and Flush the Shaft with a Detergent using a soft bristle Pipe Cleaning Brush to agitate the solution and scrub clean.
A detergent is recommended for the Shaft and Thrust Pad as there is a Plastic Sleeve within the Bearing Housing and the Trust Pad fastened into the Bowl is a Plastic Part.
A metal degreasant can be used on the Platter Spindle for both this Method
and the latter.

The Second Method and the one I prefer, is to remove the Sleeves from the Bearing Shaft and use a Detergent on the Plastic Parts and a Metal degreasant on the Metal Parts and Bearing Shaft.
The Pipe Cleaner can be used to agitate the solutions used and scrub clean.

When the Second Method is used the looseness of the Bush to the Spindle can also be assessed, and a decision can be made if the bush is to be reused.

Note: A Thrust Pad set into the Bowl is also a height adjuster, I believe it is used to aligns the Platter Magnetic Strip / Sensor.
If a Thrust Pad is removed from the Bowl, it will need to be reinstated to the exact same position it was set at.
I am not aware of any tolerances that are acceptable to be used when the Thrust Pad is being set to the correct height adjustment, the Manual will not inform on this information.

For some TTS 8000 users who have gone to this level of investigation and overhauling their Bearing Housing.
Prior to a reassembly of the Bearing Housing a process has been undertaken for the reactivating of the Pores in the Metal Bushes.
A Heat Treatment Application or Vacuum Treatment has been utilised,
to show a Oil can become present or show a movement of oil/air is able to be witnessed traveling from the Pores.
Once achieved a reassembling the Bearing Housing and adding of Lubrication has been undertaken.

In my case the Metal Bushings have no longer been wanted to be used, and a alternative option has been sought where a Bush is produced from a Modern Technology Material is used that has improved properties over the original Metal Bush and the replacement part is machined to much improved tolerances to interface with the Platter Spindle.

I now know of a TTS 8000 owner who have treated their Metal Bushes to reactivate the Pores that are now using purpose produced Bushes made from a Modern Technology Material in their TTS 8000 Bearing Housing, as well as another owner who is requesting the sme parts are made availble for the ongoing Bearing Housing Overhaul.

The use of a Modern Technology Bush for my purposes superseded the idea of modifying a 7/16"(11.11mm) ID x 5/8"(15.88mm) OD 'Off the Shelf '
available Bush.

I just recently learned that the 'Off the Shelf' Bush that I once investigated for use, needs to replace a 11mm ID x 16mm OD part and this is not a desirable practice to another individual who has recently commenced in carrying out a Bearing Overhaul.

Again the Good News is that, if a TTS 8000 owner has a interest in exchanging a Bush used in the Bearing Housing there are now Methods being used to create the opportunity for this to happen.

If the method to replace a Bush with a New Material is desirable to be used, then an improvement to the Spindle Base / Thrust Pad Interface is advisable to be considered as a extension of the methods being used.

I wouldn't recommend either of those cleaning methods. Detergents aren't necessary and you risk residuals. Some IPA and lint-free cleaning cloth is all that's really needed. The only consistent way I've found to refresh sintered bronze is to heat it in order to sweat out the old oil, and recharge it in a hot oil bath or vacuum impregnation. Rinse and repeat until the discharged oil appears clean. Granted you'd typically remove the bushes for this processes, and that's the only reasons I'd remove them if not being replaced.

They all appear to have grease on the thrust. They don't all have the plastic spacer. There have been at least two different shaft designs.

Happy to lend knowledge but in all honesty I'm not going to read walls of repetitive text in order to do so.

I can only share an experience of a 'hands on' inspection of Two TT's and offer a description of other information being gathered from various sources.

Disclaimer on Cleaning Methods used:

Other methods as a suggestion to be used to clean parts when removed is welcome.

I have investigated the use of using IPA as a Method for cleaning, and have learned that a Pure IPA, that is 'not' diluted can cause detrimental effects to Plastics, such as causing a cracking to the surface.
IPA is also Highly Combustible with a Flashpoint of 15 Degrees Celsius.

IPA is a Substance that needs to be considered with a knowledge of the Health and Safety concerns associated for the Substances Flammibility as well in the case of Cleaning, the Substances Impaction on other materials.
As a Solution, IPA remains highly flammable when 70% Diluted.

As a cleaning solutuon, it is referred to quite commonly, and the concerns that should be made known for it being used within the Home are not always offered to be assessed.

I mainly know of it being used as a Heavily Diluted Substance when Vinyl Cleaning is referred to, usually at about 90-95% Diluted.
At these Dilutions it will mean a volume of a Highly Flammable Undiluted Substance will be in storage for a very long time, and possibly within the Home.

A Detergent with out any Colouring, Scent or Anti Bacterial Additives, when used Diluted as a Solution, will clean effectively and rinse off to very clean finish with a extremely low level of remaining residual.
This can be stored and used without any concerns for the Flammibility.

As a good practice that is carried out at my home.
Aerosols with Lubricants and Cleaners, along with other Solutions that are known to be flammable are stored outside of the home.
The use of these Substances if avoidable are not carried out within the home.

A individual that may choose to carry out a procedure as being dicussed at present, may need to decide what is the best cleaning method they are content with using for their own situation.

My interpretation of the condition of the Bearing Housing as being 'Dry' when inspected initally has been, that the inner shaft, has with the use of a Probe with a Towelling/Wadding attached, shown no signs of a absorbed contamination, only a Yellow Particle had collected on the Towelling.

With the additional information made known from a couple of other contributions to be found anon this thread and at other location.
It would appear a Lubrication has been used at some point on other inspected
TTS 8000's.
Whether the Lubricant is a residual from a TT supplied from the Factory and never had any other intervention from another party with a application of a lubrication at any time, then the Lubricant Residuals being reported can be assumed to have been used at the time of Manufacture.
There is also the possibility a TT under inspection with a unknown history may have had a Lubrication added by a Owner or as a result of a Service undertaken.

From the limited information available and the evidences being reported on, it can be assumed there will be a variety of conditions encountered within the Bearing Housing on the TTS 8000 and some owners who are encountering a unwanted condition may wish to undertake additional measures to correct their findings.

Some of the conditions encountered are able to be described as plausible for the cause of what I will assume is a Typically unwanted condition, such a Noise, be it continuous or intermittent, a Looseness of a Bush/Platter Spindle Fit and a Scribe Indentation found on a Platter Spindle Base Steel Ball, a Thrust Pad with a excessive wear.

I can totally agree that not all TTS 8000's will have incurred a unwanted condition as described above.
I find it hard to agree that all appear to have a grease on the Thrust Pad.
I am also not aware of any individual suggesting that the lubrication when discovered appears to be adequate as a functioning lubrication, and one that is felt not in need of being remediated in any way.

If any of the above concerns are chosen to be addressed with a corrective measure.

There will still be remaining the Thrust Pad that does not have a Sacrificial Disc incorporated into the design.
Thrust Pads can have a excessive sign of wear, and the Thrust Pad does not have a sacrificial exchangable Part.

The Thrust Pad also seems to have a Dual Role, where it is rotation point for the Platter Spindles Steel Ball, as well as used a Sump Plug, and is inserted into a Metal Pressed Bowl.

The Metal Pressed Bowl is also seeming to offering a Dual Role, where it is a Support to mount the Bearing Housing, as well as serving as a Vessel for applied Lubricant to the Platter Spindle and Trust Pad.

The Bowl to Bearing Housing Spacing is infilled with a Square Walled 'O' ring, that also appears to have a dual role, one to work as a retaining wall for the applied Lubricant within the Bowl, and the other, to possibly function as a Damper of some kind.

I am sure there may be other viewpoints on the design intentions of the above parts, but at present these fit comfortably into my thought processes when observing their placement within the assembly.

From a personal perspective, it seems neither the Inserted into the Bowl Thrust Pad or the 'O' ring appear to have successfully contained the applied Lubricant that is suspected to have been present.
When referring to the reports of Bearing Housing Inspections and the findings, there is additional evidence that lends itself to support the hypothosis that he Lubrication leeched through the parts used to retain it.

Note: If a Thrust Pad is removed, it appears to have one other purpose, where it serves as a Height Adjuster for the Platter Spindle.
I am happy to be corrected on this description if I am wrong.

The adjustment of Height will then allow for the Platter Magnetic Strip to be correctly aligned to the Sensor.
The Manual will not inform on the requirements for the Height Adjustment and any tolerances that can be accomodated.
Remove the Thrust Pad from the Metal Pressed Bowl with caution!
The best practice will be to ensure that a method to reinstate it to the exact position it was found set at is identified before a removal is carried out.

On reinstatement,as the Thrust Pad is expected to function as Sump Plug, the Threads will need to be coated with a Thread Sealant that is compatible with a Plastic.
The use of a Thread Seal will mean the Sump Plug will need to inserted and set to the recorded depth within the Bowl within a limited time, as the Thread Seal is progressively drying.

Again this is Good News to those that want to go to theadditional measures to Service or Overhaul a Bearing Housing Assembly.
There are advisories available that can now remove some the Head Aches that can be incurred if going into the processes without a prior knowledge of a few valuable controls that can be planned in.

Looking through a long list of banned chemicals in the USA IPA is not one of them and that includes California ,which as every American will tell you has its own even stricter laws.

Inflammable----yes but not hazardous to life even in California,s eyes.

As I am in constant touch with US organizations on subjects like this , two major US companies which I will not name are having class actions taken against them .
One is for not displaying the chemical benzine in its sun repellent range and the other is a hair shampoo that long term makes you bald.

The suggestion that IPA can cause Harm to Health if used in a controlled manner has not been implied, nor has acquiring a quantity that could if a Spillage Occur becomes a situation that is a Enviromental Concern.

It has been made known that IPA at a certain percentage of mixture can be a Solution that is detrimental to plastics in contact with it.

A very dilute Solution will alleviate this concern of being detrimental if the contact time is controlled between the Solution and Plastic.

The Main Point to be made known is that a IPA that is mixed to a Solutiuon tht will not be dentrimental to a Plastic, will probably end up with a Large Volume of Undiluted Solution needing to be Stored.
As the Substance is referred to very commonly, it could be assumed it is a Safe Substance and not presenting any risks.

The Storage of a Substance that is Highly Flammable needs a careful consideration and the Best Practice would be to have a outside of the home Storage.

An Individual might not even be insured as a result of a Fire caused by a Combustion of such a Chemical that has been stored within the Home.

How does California legislate for a perfectly acceptable and very low risk substance such as a Detergent to be used as an alternative to a IPA ?

I unboxed my retained TTS 8000 Late Yesterday, along with a few other Brands of TT's own.
I was interested in revisiting the inspections previously carried out and redo the comparisons, to become familiar once more with the condition in the report within this thread.

These inspections carried out, have offered a reinforcement of my reports on the previous historical discoveries, that have been made known within this thread, that are referrencing an excess of movement on a TTS 8000 Platter Spindle / Bearing Interface when compared to other owned TT's.
The revisiting the stored TTS 8000 also had one other purpose.
The TT was to be inspected to confirm if a very recent report being made from two other individuals was to be discovered on my own TTS 8000.

My added inspection showed that the condition being reported on, was also present on my own TTS 8000, and when the same condition was attempted to be recreated on the other Brands of TT's, it was not able to be created.

The condition that has been reported on and now witnessed by myself on my own stored TTS 8000 as having the same condition, is showing that the Platter does not sit tight onto the Spindle, when it is located onto the Spindle seating position.

When a light finger pressure applied to the Platters Rim, the very lightly applied finger pressure will produce a downwards deflection on the Platter.
If the light finger pressure is apllied on opposite sides of the Platters Rim, a Rocking Motion is created.
What appears to be the Root Cause of this created movement, is looking like the Wall of the Platters Hole that makes contact with the Spindle is not machined to fit tight to the Spindle.
The contact between the two materials, is allowing a movement to be produced, the same type of movement witnessed on the Platter, is not detectable on the other TT's that have been used as a comparison.

My TTS 8000 that is in the possesion of an Engineer has also been reported to have the same issue with the Platter when seated onto the Spindle and another TTS 8000 owner has also made it known that they are aware of the same looseness and Rocking that can be detected.

Additionally the TTS 8000 I was using for these most recent inspections is the same model I had used, where an Oil was applied within the Bearing Housing, onto the Bushes Inner Wall.
The original benfits of the Oil were no longer evident, the cushioning of the Spindle when finger pressure had been applied was no longer detected, the audible noise was easily created, as the tapping of the Spindle and Bush happened, when a light pressure is being applied, using the Spindle pinched in two fingers.

My assessment is that my recent inspection has shown that to inject a little oil into the Bearing Housing to see if a Lubrication will reduce the looseness detected where a Interface issue is present, is looking like it will serve as a short lived fix.
In my own case, the looseness has been of such a condition, the applied oil, has escaped from the Spacing it was applied to.
A different viscosity of oil may have been more successful at maintaining the Hydrodynamic Lubrication properties between the two materials.
As I am not looking to overcome the condition as a Permanent Fix using Oil, it is a pursuit I will not be undertaking.

There is Good News available and a Functioning Product is produced and incorporated into a working TTS 8000.
The Method has been supplied, to improve on the issues that are becoming increasingly reported, where a Platter Spindle / Bearing Housing Bush interface is showing a losseness and a excess of movement.
New Bespoke Produced Bushes are used within a Bearing Housing, along with a redesigned and Bespoke produced Thrust Pad.

I have a owned TTS 8000, that has been with an Engineer for a period of time to undergo various remediation treaments to improve on the Bearing Housing Interfaces under discussion within this thread.
During this period another TTS 8000 owner who had their TT, as their sole used TT,
was encountering issues with a similar condition as covered within this thread, became aware of the works that were to be carried out on my TTS 8000.
A request was made if the other TTS Owners TT was to be prioritiesed for the remediation, to which I agreed was fine to do, as I was not without a TT.
I very recently handled the Bearing Housing that has undergone a remediation treatment.
The Bespoke Bushes used as a replacement for the original bushes, have been handled and assessed for the changes that can be detected on the Spindle / Bush Interface.
In my assessment, this is a interface I believe that should be present, and is a very desirable improvement.
The Spindle has also been addressed on the above remediation and a New Ball has been used to exchange the original ball.
The Trust Pad is also a Bespoke Produced Part, designed to inprove on the original part.

There are now other TTS 8000 owners starting to inquire about the supply of Parts that can be used as a Remediation for the conditions becomeing more widely known with the Bearing Housing.

My own TTS 8000's are to have the same Bespoke Parts produced, and exchanges will be done methodically to allow for assessments of the changes as a A/B comparison between the Original Parts with a Looseness, Original Parts with a Oil applied to cushion the looseness and the TT with the Remediation Treatment incorporated.

The TTS 8000 owner who now has the the Bespoke Part Remediated Bearing Assembly, has also chosen to undertake a similar A/B comparison.
They have now got two TTS 8000's both mounted in the same Plinth Materials and both will use the same Tonearm and Cartridge and TT Mounting Platform.
The initial reports on their use of the TT with the Bearing Housing Remediation, are very well received, as the reports being there is a betterment of the TT in relation to a perception of the Sound Quality, has already been offered.

This individual, as well as myself, is keen to learn of the remediation method to produce a Platter that is not able to deflect excessively when seated on the Spindle.

The Good News is that a very adept individual with a recognised skill with both TT's and Tonearms is pondering the methods that can be used.

I recently purchased a Sony TTS8000 after wanting one for many years. Since a while I was using a Denon DP80, great deck. In comparison the Sony has a little bit less build quality, which also shows in the motor and bearing assembly like John mentioned.
To my surprise it showed a significant play in the bearing, although it seems to be of little use. The bearing was completely dry, and even after lubricating it produced a grinding sound.
This was not what I was expecting.
I tried to fill the bearing with oil as much as possible, because I have made good experiences in a Lenco bearing.
But it was leaking, so I stayed away from this idea.
It then came to my mind that the trusty old garrads were also running with a highly regarded grease bearing,so I gave it a try and filled the bearing with quite a bit of grease.
After a short period of running in it went completely silent, with absolutely no play left, and the deck sounds absolutely fabulous now.
Maybe the grease even contributes to the good sound, as it provides a little load for the motor, which is beneficial in many turntable motors.
As I have the same Resinamic sound plinths for both decks, a comparison with identical arm and cartridge would be interesting. Hopefully I'll soon find some time and energy for that.
So, yes, there seems to be an issue with the bearing in the TTS, which has to be addressed in one or another way.

Last edited:
If a bearing has worn to a point that requires grease in a turntable it is best to replace the bearing but if you insist on using grease to continue its operation then use a high melting point /high pressure grease containing Lithium .

If anybody on DIY Audio knows of any manufacturer who states that their turntable should use grease from new could they post a link to it--remember I said Manufacturer .

A worn bearing lets in air which contains moisture which adds to the wear/corrosion because of the chemical reaction of two dissimilar metals.

Maybe I was not clear enough: the bearing wasn't worn out at all, the table was barely used, and the spindle did show no signs of wear. I tried thin hydraulic oil, after that SAE30, but it was still producing that grinding sound. Maybe because that o- ring at the bottom leaks, so that there is never really enough oil between the bushings and the shaft. Or the bushings were not honed properly, or correctly placed in line, who knows.
The grease can't leak, because it's sticking and stays where it belongs.
I also think that there are far too many myths around this bearing theme. It is just 33 rpm after all, not 10000. And yes, I agree that a good bearing makes a difference.

The purpose of the Thread has been to produce a share point for the experiences of users of a TTS 8000.

The reports from Jogi are sounding like the TT he has been able to inspect has simiar looseness within the Bearing Housing and Spindle Interface as my own.

I have not proven the Bowl Thrust Pad (Sump Plug) / Square Walled 'O' ring can allow a Oil Lubrication to leech through the assembly of parts.
Jogi experience has added a weight to my own raised suspicion, as the assembly of parts is inadequate and not able to offer a long term containment of a lubrication.

It sounds like Jogi has Two TT's, in the communications I am involved in, there seems to be a trend developing for the method of running two TTS 8000's.
One Model remaining as a Original Spec, to compare to One Model undergoing a remediation for the inherent conditions met.

I am not sure if this is Jogi's situation, or if his Two TT's are different Branded Models that can share the same plinth design.

I have stopped the tapping noise using a few drops of Oil on the Bearing Housing
Top Bush Inner Wall , but this has been proven to be a short lived fix, even though the use of the Oil was only thought of as a Temorary measure.

If Jogi has found a satisfactory condition by using Grease, then hopefully this will be suitable for the Long Term.

As said in the previous reports there are opportunities to exchange the Original Bush and Thrust Pad / Sump Plug for New Bush Parts and a redesigned Sump Plug.
These parts are being used successfully, and will offer a much improved Interface for the Spindle and Spindle Base Steel Ball, if the Steel Ball is without damage.

I look forward to any comparisons Jogi is able to produce with his TT's

Last edited: