Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Pioneer Pl-300 Turntable Motor Jogging in Reverse Direction
Pioneer Pl-300 Turntable Motor Jogging in Reverse Direction
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2021, 04:28 PM   #1
rob100961 is offline rob100961  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer Pl-300 Turntable Motor Jogging in Reverse Direction

When the motor is switched on, it sort of jogs its way round in a back and forth motion, but overall in a reverse direction.

Please see the attached pictures of the motor/motor pcb, and the board it attaches to (power board) I can't see anything visually wrong, and the Service Manual I've downloaded isn't helping me much.

I only have a digital meter (no oscilloscope etc), so fault finding is difficult. I'd like to check the output voltages on the 7 pin connector first, but can't see this in the manual. Or is the fault more likely to be on the motor/motor pcb anyway, so I should concentrate there first.

Maybe replace all the electrolytic capacitors as a first step??

Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (649.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (656.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 12th June 2021, 09:45 PM   #2
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Electrotanya has a better manual than vinyl engine but its still 3 big chips operating it in block diagrams .

If the fault isn't the mechanical start switch connection then without an oscilloscope on a crystal controlled DD motor then all you can do is test voltages at the chips.
Old 14th June 2021, 09:51 AM   #3
starbender is offline starbender
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob100961 View Post
When the motor is switched on, it sort of jogs its way round in a back and forth motion, but overall in a reverse direction.

Please see the attached pictures of the motor/motor pcb, and the board it attaches to (power board) I can't see anything visually wrong, and the Service Manual I've downloaded isn't helping me much.

I only have a digital meter (no oscilloscope etc), so fault finding is difficult. I'd like to check the output voltages on the 7 pin connector first, but can't see this in the manual. Or is the fault more likely to be on the motor/motor pcb anyway, so I should concentrate there first.

Maybe replace all the electrolytic capacitors as a first step??

Thanks, Rob

Don't run motor without aluminium platter. When you run motor without platter, it will run back and forth and sometimes reverse. Put on platter and check.
Old 14th June 2021, 04:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will try all the above.

Thanks, Rob
Old 14th June 2021, 06:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Put the platter back on, and it works a treat.
I'll put it all back together now :-)

Thanks for the helpful advice - I've made a note of it now.

Rob
  Reply to this post

Pioneer Pl-300 Turntable Motor Jogging in Reverse DirectionHide this!Advertise here!