Leak Troughline 3 Failing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

My Leak Troughline 3 has developed a twitch. Some of the time it is fine then suddenly the signal will break up and then disappear totally. Sometimes twiddling the tuning nob will bring the signal back for a while, sometimes it won't have any effect and the thing lays quiet (but still all lit up) for ages. I would say it is a 40-60 split between working and not working.

I am sure it's not the aeriel as this is a substantial TV rooftop arrangement, and the aeriel lead alone would provide some sort of signal, but the unit falls entirely silent and the signal strength meter drops to zero-signal.

I have had it checked by a local repair shop - he said all the tubes are fine, it's in good condition and he can't find anything wrong with it, but I don't fancy paying him another minimum charge just to be told again that there is nothing wrong with it :rolleyes: There is something wrong with it, but I don't know what.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these beasts? I have a circuit diagram for it but the world of tuners is a complex one and it doesn't help me too much on its own. Any help or ideas, maybe on common failings of the units, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In my limited experience, the ECC84 (if I remember correctly) at the front end can go intermittent, giving the symptoms you describe. It might well have decided to behave itself on test, of course! Worth trying a substitute if you have one to hand. Otherwise, a dry joint's likely - if you can't find one by close inspection and a little careful tapping, try monitoring the key voltages around the front end when the fault occurs. It shouldn't be too hard to see what's happening.

Thanks, I will try the tests you mention.

I have read through all the Leak pages I can find and the best advice seems to be a complete overhaul by GTA Audio, but £350 minimum seems to be a lot to pay for the work!

Maybe a new decoder when I get the thing working properly.

Further 'tests' have shown that by wiggling the front facia slightly the fault comes and goes. Also, tapping lightly in various areas of the innards has the same effect. I assume this means a loose connection or a bad solder joint somehwere, but I'll be damned if I can find it :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.