Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Bypass internal preamps on Tascam Portastudio (Cassette)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2021, 10:00 AM   #1
22uf is offline 22uf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Bypass internal preamps on Tascam Portastudio (Cassette)

*** MODERATORS - PLEASE EDIT MY POST - I MEAN INTERNAL PREAMPS NOT INTERNET PREAMPS (typical auto spell....)

I donít know if this is the correct section to post this, but anyway.
I am wanting to record to cassette. I am thinking about buying a tascam portastudio as they record at double speed. However, I will have my own preamps and donít want the signal passing through the tascams preamps.

Are there either any portastudios that have this feature, or any known mods to bypass the built in preamps?

Does the sub-in use the built in preamps?

I canít find any portastudios that have a line in...

Last edited by Mooly; 16th May 2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Thread title corrected as requested.
Old 16th May 2021, 12:30 PM   #2
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

You can always edit your 1st post yourself.

Jan
Old 16th May 2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Thread titles may not be editable, same for attachments... it is to stop bad things happening

I'll do it.
Old 16th May 2021, 02:18 PM   #4
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You might have a problem Tascam equipment is fully logic controlled and routed and as you know programmable via an app from your computer .

Looking at those digital units "modding them " internally does not look an easy achievement --OR---
are you talking about the Tascam 488 ,now that does have a line input -100mv in the LINE position or 300mv in other LINE inputs.

So if that is your aim don't buy an all singing & dancing digital wonder buy the 488 (MK11 )
Old 17th May 2021, 12:44 AM   #5
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The old PortaStudios had XLR and 1/4" jacks, and a wide-range TRIM (gain) knob which turned from low mike level to normal line level. You can't go wrong with these.
Attached Images
File Type: gif PortaStudio424mkII-42.gif (138.7 KB, 16 views)
  Reply to this post

Bypass internal preamps on Tascam Portastudio (Cassette)Hide this!Advertise here!