Bypass internal preamps on Tascam Portastudio (Cassette)

*** MODERATORS - PLEASE EDIT MY POST - I MEAN INTERNAL PREAMPS NOT INTERNET PREAMPS (typical auto spell....)

I don’t know if this is the correct section to post this, but anyway.
I am wanting to record to cassette. I am thinking about buying a tascam portastudio as they record at double speed. However, I will have my own preamps and don’t want the signal passing through the tascams preamps.

Are there either any portastudios that have this feature, or any known mods to bypass the built in preamps?

Does the sub-in use the built in preamps?

I can’t find any portastudios that have a line in...

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have a problem Tascam equipment is fully logic controlled and routed and as you know programmable via an app from your computer .

Looking at those digital units "modding them " internally does not look an easy achievement --OR---
are you talking about the Tascam 488 ,now that does have a line input -100mv in the LINE position or 300mv in other LINE inputs.

So if that is your aim don't buy an all singing & dancing digital wonder buy the 488 (MK11 )

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The old PortaStudios had XLR and 1/4" jacks, and a wide-range TRIM (gain) knob which turned from low mike level to normal line level. You can't go wrong with these.

Attachments

• PortaStudio424mkII-42.gif
    PortaStudio424mkII-42.gif
    138.7 KB · Views: 38