VTA PH16 Phono Pre Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My First DIY
Vacuum Tube Audio PH16 Phono Preamp
I decided I wanted to start listening my vinyl again. I retipped my Denon DL103R, tuned up my VPI Scoutmaster turntable, and decided it was time for a new phono pre. I had an EAR 834P that I thought had quit on me (actually it was fine, just a bad tube), replaced it with a Parks Audio DSP but it did not do it for me. Seemed a little dry. Nice little unit, but I missed the tube stage. The desire to DIY took over. I decided on the VTA PH16 over a Bottlehead. Have not heard either, but the reviews were good and the experiences read in other posts were positive so off I went.
I bought a few supplies – Hakko Solder Station, Solder Sucker, Extech voltmeter, Cardas quad eutectic solder, wire stripper. Then I bought an Amazon 7th grade level practice kit. Glad I did. I had not soldered anything other than making cables. The pictures of my build show my skillset. Not great but improving.
Exchanged a few emails with Roy, and the kit showed up a few days later. I decided to go with the upgraded Mundorf caps and added a choke to the power board but everything else was stock. I had the case top and sides powder coated black and changed out the chassis screws to black. (not sure why as it sits in the middle of an equipment rack)
Kit was complete except was missing a little wire, but Roy had it in the mail promptly. The build manual is not a hold-your-hand manual but everything you need is in there. My lack of experience did shine through in a few spots. My first attempt to fire it up yielded nothing. I had a few diodes in backwards and had to turn a voltage regulator around. Fixed those but was getting some bizarre readings. Exchanged emails with Roy, I tried a few trouble shooting ideas but still could not get things right. I unhooked the boards and mailed them to Roy. He quickly determined I had a bad HV regulator. He replaced it and added a missing ground and he shipped them back next day. Hooked it all up same night and it was fine. Dead quiet. Even though I have always wanted tubes in my amplifications, I cannot stand hiss. There is none. I have a Altec 4722 SUT in front of the PH16 to allow for the Denon DL103R’s low output. I want to mention that working with Roy was great. Quick to respond to emails and send out supplies as needed.
I no longer have the EAR 834P so I cannot make any side-by-side comparisons, but I did not take a step back. The PH16 is everything the EAR 834P was and probably more. Plenty of body and soul. I have some NOS Amperex 6922 tubes I will roll in the near future.
Next DIY – Ordered an Elekit 8600S from Victor.

Attachments

• P1020029_000.jpg
    P1020029_000.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 221
  • P1020030_000.jpg
    P1020030_000.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 222
  • P1020031_001.jpg
    P1020031_001.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 195
Congrats on your build!

I finished my PH 16 a couple weeks ago and I also put a voltage regulator in backwards. Unfortunately one of the legs came off when I was removing it so I had to get a replacement.

Roy is great to work with!

Give it a some time and it will continue to improve.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.